Re: [TaxoCoP] The taxonomy honeymoon is over...

  • Madi Weland Solomon
    Message 1 of 40 , May 16, 2012
      Hi Stephanie.

      I've kept my 15 year relationship with structured data fresh by moving to ontologies, big data, and data analytics.  Last year I found a new interest in privacy and public policy and completed two certification courses from the International Association for Privacy Professionals (IAPP).  The topic is so new it makes me feel young.

      I suppose my taxonomy honeymoon is over too,  but the commitment remains strong. I've stopped expecting all my needs to be met by any one thing and have learned to augment my working life with side interests. Intellectual Property, schema.org, OER, the ukulele.

      There aren't many of you Stephanie!  On behalf of your taxonomy, I'm pleading for you to stay. Let's take the relationship to a new level!

      Madi Weland Solomon
      Dir. Content Standards
      Pearson plc

      Message 40 of 40 , Jul 16 9:05 PM
        Brilliant contribution Marilyn, many thanks!

        From the presentation it's clear that Google is playing in taxonomy territory, without ever using the word. In my book I define taxonomy as having three functions, each of which underpins one of the "design patterns" that Shawn speaks about:

        Taxonomies have a semantic function by providing a controlled vocabulary - in Google these are the "Discovery patterns" allowing them to match terms to entities, extract and disambiguate entities and reconcile terms to a single ID

        Taxonomies have a classification function to group related things together - in Google these are "Interaction patterns" that allow uses to filter (explicit use of facet language here) and navigate from one entity to other related entities via recommendations

        Taxonomies have a mapping function to give an overview of a knowledge domain - in Google these are "Presentation patterns" for displaying concepts, particularly for providing mashups (which get very interesting with facets) and visualizations such as network maps, trees, timelines, graphs etc.

        Partner
        Tel: +65 62210383

        On Jul 14, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Marilyn wrote:

        Interestingly, Shawn spoke at Google's big conference recently, and the video has been posted. While he doesn't use the words taxonomy or schema initially, I think you'll see that Freebase is in fact the semantic basis for Google's Knowledge Graph.

        Here's the link to his presentation, entitled Google I/O 2012 - Knowledge-Based Application Design Patterns:
        https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/gooio2012/1209/

        Best, Marilyn