Re: [TaxoCoP] Faceted search analytics - percentage of refinements on search?

  • KitSharma@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18, 2012

      We did some user research for our intranet search at Cisco, and used it in conjunction with analytics. We had around 5% utilization for faceted search. People that used it more extensively were advanced users. After improving the facets, and sharing how they can be utilized, people said they were more inclined to use it. We'll review the metrics, and test again after we deploy the enhancements.

      From the thread, I'd infer that stronger classification of data leads to improved facet 'quality', and usage. Time for us to spend more work on classification:)

      Kit.
      Search Services Manager, Cisco.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2012
        Thanks to all who replied about faceted search stats.

        I think the average facet usage rate is pretty low in general, though it depends on the context. I heard a lot of numbers that were under 10% - which almost makes you wonder why we go through so much trouble building the faceted search in the first place!

        But I think it's also an interesting metric in analyzing search relevancy. High facet usage may be in some cases (more documents/content than e-commerce) tan indication that search results are not relevant enough. Users are compelled to use facets to refine the selection more often because they don't get good results initially.

        Of course, this is not necessarily all bad, as it means the users have tools at their disposal to make such refinements. But if it's coupled with a high search depth metric (number of search pages viewed), it might indicate that the refinements themselves are not effective.

        The site I'm assessing right now has an average facet use of 18%, but it climbs to over 40% for some search terms. I'm going to use that as a "canary in the coal mine" in this case.

        Thanks again to all,
        Stephanie

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "stephaniealemieux" <lemieux.stephanie@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > For those of you who are managing faceted search on a website, does anyone have statistics about how many users employ faceted refinements on a search? (not navigation)
        >
        > I know that when I worked for the Yellow Pages, it was pretty low (<10%). I assume it would be higher for e-commerce sites.
        >
        > Does anyone have any data to share?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Stephanie

      • Lee Romero
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2012
          Hi Stephanie - I would agree with your thoughts here.

          For the most part, I have found within a solution, the average for
          metrics like this are pretty stable over time.

          It can be useful to understand how your average compares to others to
          give you some idea of where you fall in a spectrum. (As an aside, it
          would be even better to be able to compare your measures with similar
          search solutions and just an overall average but I don't think we have
          enough insight to do that, yet.)

          But the more interesting and actionable things you can do with these
          insights is to compare the measure of individual terms against your
          overall average to identify outliers. You can then analyze details
          around those to try to improve whatever is going on (or, possibly, try
          to improve others if you have individual terms that are performing
          demonstrably better than others for a certain measure).

          The more individual terms you can identify that are problematic in
          some way, the more effective any time you can invest in them is going
          to be.

          Regards
          Lee