Re: Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
      Antonio,

      if it comes to SharePoint and Knowledge Management, you should definitely give the SharePoint Knowledge Management Suite a try. It consists of several components tahta dd value to the term store (export / import / update / deployment), tagging (tag rules, tag suggesting, auto-tagging and navigation (tag navigation tree-style or glosssary, tag cloud and automatic display of related content.
      The suite is one of the very vew solutions that are certified as Microsoft Platform Ready for SharePoint 2010, because it does not use any legacy index or external systems.

      You will find more here:
      http://www.layer2.de/en/products/Pages/Knowledge-Management-Suite-SharePoint-2010.aspx

      Thanks, Frank

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >

      > Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,
      >
      > The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
      > With no keyword restrictions.
      >
      > For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear as value, this means as synonym of another words.
      >
      > Let me know
      >
      > thanks in advance
      >
      > Antonio

    • antonio marraffa
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Frank,

        thanks for you answer, so the thesauri-tool should be platform independent:
        1. should manage taxonomies and onotlogies
        2. should manage tags
        3. should manage synonyms and other linguistics features

        Your input is interesting because most of our project are SharePoint related.

        Thanks a lot

        Regards
        Antonio

        if it comes to SharePoint and Knowledge Management, you should definitely give the SharePoint Knowledge Management Suite a try. It consists of several components tahta dd value to the term store (export / import / update / deployment), tagging (tag rules, tag suggesting, auto-tagging and navigation (tag navigation tree-style or glosssary, tag cloud and automatic display of related content.
        The suite is one of the very vew solutions that are certified as Microsoft Platform Ready for SharePoint 2010, because it does not use any legacy index or external systems.

        You will find more here:
        http://www.layer2.de/en/products/Pages/Knowledge-Management-Suite-SharePoint-2010.aspx

        Thanks, Frank

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >

        > Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,
        >
        > The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
        > With no keyword restrictions.
        >
        > For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear as value, this means as synonym of another words.
        >
        > Let me know
        >
        > thanks in advance
        >
        > Antonio

      • stephaniealemieux
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi Antonio,

          I don't know of any open source taxonomy tool aside from Protege. It's definitely a hardcore ontology tool and not for the faint of heart.
          http://protege.stanford.edu/
          Everything else that I know of that is robust are all commercial tools.

          Stephanie

          > >--- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi all,
          > >>

          > >> Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,
          > >>
          > >> The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
          > >> With no keyword restrictions.
          > >>
          > >> For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear as value, this means as synonym of another words.
          > >>
          > >> Let me know
          > >>
          > >> thanks in advance
          > >>
          > >> Antonio

        • marijane white
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hello Antonio,

            You might check out TemaTres at http://vocabularyserver.com/, it's a very good open-source vocabulary management tool.  It only does U/UF, BT/NT, and RT relationships -- there's no function to provide the more specific semantic relationships you might find in an ontology.

            -marijane

            On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@...> wrote:

            Hi all,

            Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,

            The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
            With no keyword restrictions.
            For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear as value, this means as synonym of another words.

            Let me know

            thanks in advance
            Antonio

          • Adrian Walker
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
              Hi All,

              The Executable English tool online at the site below can answer questions over taxonomies (and other data), and gives English explanations of the answers.

              Here's a simple example of a taxonomy written in Executable English:

              www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/EntertainmentTaxonomy1.agent

              Shared use of the system is free by pointing a browser to the site.  However, the system is not open source.

                                                  -- Adrian

              Internet Business Logic
              A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
              Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
              Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

              Adrian Walker
              Reengineering

            • John
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
                "Ontopia" is another open source platform tool - i can't get it installed so i don't know what its like.

                I use a program call "Help and Manual." Its not proper taxonomy software, and is really used for making help files, but it does have a nice hierarchical structure with an open text field. Worth checking out.

                There is another program called "Help and Doc," which suspiciously looks like Help and Manual - but is much lower powered.

                --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, marijane white <marijane@...> wrote:

                > Hello Antonio,
                >
                > You might check out TemaTres at http://vocabularyserver.com/, it's a very
                > good open-source vocabulary management tool. It only does U/UF, BT/NT, and
                > RT relationships -- there's no function to provide the more specific
                > semantic relationships you might find in an ontology.
                >

                > -marijane
                >
                > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@...
                > > wrote:
                >

                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,
                > >
                > > The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
                > > With no keyword restrictions.
                > > For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear
                > > as value, this means as synonym of another words.
                > >
                > > Let me know
                > >
                > > thanks in advance
                > > Antonio

              • marijane white
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
                  Ontopia is similar to Protege, it's also a pretty heavyweight ontology tool, the difference is that it uses the Topic Maps model for knowledge representation instead of RDF/OWL. If you're not already familiar with Topic Maps, it's likely to be as intimidating as Protege might be.

                  On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM, John <john.cann@...> wrote:
                  "Ontopia" is another open source platform tool - i can't get it installed so i don't know what its like.

                  I use a program call "Help and Manual."  Its not proper taxonomy software, and is really used for making help files, but it does have a nice hierarchical structure with an open text field.  Worth checking out.

                  There is another program called "Help and Doc," which suspiciously looks like Help and Manual - but is much lower powered.

                  --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, marijane white <marijane@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Antonio,
                  >
                  > You might check out TemaTres at http://vocabularyserver.com/, it's a very
                  > good open-source vocabulary management tool.  It only does U/UF, BT/NT, and
                  > RT relationships -- there's no function to provide the more specific
                  > semantic relationships you might find in an ontology.
                  >

                  > -marijane
                  >
                  > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM, antonio marraffa <antonio_marraffa@...
                  > > wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > Which open source taxonomy/onotlogy/lingustic tool do you suggest,
                  > >
                  > > The ttol should also manage synonyms not only taxonomies.
                  > > With no keyword restrictions.
                  > > For example in Fast for SharePoint a term set a key word could not ppear
                  > > as value, this means as synonym of another words.
                  > >
                  > > Let me know
                  > >
                  > > thanks in advance
                  > > Antonio

                  <*> Your email settings: