[TaxoCoP] Re: Skills taxonomy examples?

  • Mark Leher
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011

      Hi Kyle,

      WAND has built a skills taxonomy specifically as a starter set for the SharePoint My Sites profiles.  I’d be happy to talk about it with you and/or share a demo so you can see the types of skills included.

      My contact information is below if you’d like to speak.

      Thanks

      Mark Leher

      VP, Business Development
      WAND, Inc.

      www.wandinc.com

      mleher@...
      (303) 623-1200 x267

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2011
        There is a lot of work done in the HR space around competency frameworks, which seems to be close to what you are getting at here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competence_%28human_resources%29

        Competencies are usually defined as a combination of skills, knowledge and observable behaviours - competency frameworks are developed and used to identify candidates for different roles, job requirements, and in performance management to identify performance gaps or development needs. Hence they also have descriptors for level of competency, and clear definititions for the differences between skills, knowledge and behaviours. Expertise is obviously an aspect of competency and goes beyond skills.

        Competency frameworks in organisations also split into generic competencies that apply across a group of staff (eg managerial competencies) and function specific competencies.

        This means you are usually looking at a matrix approach or a multi faceted approach (skill, knowledge, level) rather than a single taxonomy of skills.

        I would talk to your HR folks Kyle - I'd be surprised if they don't have something like this up their sleeves or in the works, and if they don't, you want to develop something in dialogue with them - you don't want to find yourself competing with them on their turf.

        website: www.straitsknowledge.com

        Have you seen our new KM Planning Toolkit?

        On Oct 26, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Seth Earley wrote:

        This is a request on behalf of Kyle Strand of IDB:

        -----------

        I have a colleague working on the implementation of sharepoint and would like to provide a taxonomy of skills to be used in professional profiles there.  As a starting point, I was hoping that the TaxoCoP community could provide some examples of skills taxonomies that you have worked on or are currently using.

        For a little more context, the idea is to use it to power the input, tagging and eventual search of a field where staff would indicate the skills and field of expertise they believe to have. In this regard, maybe we are looking for two types of taxonomies: one for skills and one for area of expertise.  Any thoughts?

        Examples of skills that come to mind would be "writing of proposals" or "project evaluation", whereas expertise examples might be "school administration", "universal pension systems", "e-government", etc.   The field is expected to be associated with professional profiles using  Sharepoint.

        Thanks in advance for your valuable time!

        Kyle Strand
        Knowledge Management Division

        Tel: 202.623.3326
        <image001.gif>
        1300 New York Avenue, N.W.
        Washington, D.C. 20577 - USA
        www.iadb.org

        "Knowledge for Development Challenges"

        Background on the Bank Repository of Institutional Knowledge (BRIK)

        Seth Earley

        CEO
        _____________________________

        EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
        Cell: 781-820-8080

        Email: seth@...

        Web: www.earley.com

        Follow me on twitter: sethearley

        Connect with me on  LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley

      • spamelagreen
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 18, 2011
          I'm working on a project for a "Skills, Interests and Responsibilities"
          term set for our own SharePoint //my profiles as well. We've been on
          SharePoint 2010 for a while so we sourced the core of our terms from
          people's active profiles. The consulting taxonomist did some analysis
          and found that between the three fields (Skills, Interests and "Ask me
          About") only 21% of terms used five times or more were unique (based
          almost entirely on pure string matching). Based on this, we decided to
          create a single term set for "Skills, Interests and Responsibilities"
          (known as SIRs now) and are working to scope all three properties there.
          We are also going to make it an "open" term set to allow employees to
          add new terms, with the understanding they'll be potentially merged with
          other authoritative terms or removed, if totally out of scope. This is a
          new governance approach for us so we'll see how it actually works when
          the project launches.

          We are up to our eyeballs in this project right now but when we get the
          solution worked out, hopefully in a few months, I'd be happy to share
          the results.

          Pam Green
          Program Manager
          Microsoft IT - Foundation Services - Sharepoint
        • Matt Johnson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 18, 2011
            Hi everyone,

            I will be presenting at SLA in Chicago next July on the topic “Keeping Your Taxonomy Fresh and Relevant”.  I am looking for a co-presenter for this session, ideally someone whose principal role is as a taxonomy manager (rather than that of a vendor or contractor) who can offer original research, case studies, or best practices from their own experience of taxonomy change management.

            If you’re interested in participating, please message me offline with a short bio and abstract *prior to 9 December* (three weeks from today).  Your proposal will need to be vetted by the SLA taxonomy division before it is accepted.

            Best,

            Matt Johnson
            Program Manager, Information Standards, eServices
            EMC Corporation

          • Fran Alexander
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 26, 2011
              Hi Matt