Ontologies for ETDs

  • Bhojaraju G
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2005
      Dear All,

      I am doing a study on "Ontologies for ETDs" (Electronic Theses & Dissertations). So i wish to know about the following information urgently.
      • Major ETDs in the world (approx numbers with few examples)
      • How Ontologies have been applied for those ETD database ?
      • Use of ontologies in database like ...Proquest & OCLC
      • Commercial databases (approx numbers with few examples)
      Thanking you in anticipation.

      Thanks & Regards

      Bhojaraju G,
      Librarian – Knowledge Management, (Sharepoint Administrator)
      Bangalore-560004, INDIA.
      Pl do visit & put your comments on Guest Book
      "KM Cyberary" @ http://www.bhojarajug.freeservers.com/cyberary.html
    • Bhojaraju G
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
        Hi,

        I am doing a study on "Ontologies for ETDs" (Electronic Theses & Dissertations). So i wish to know about the following information urgently.
        • Major ETDs in the world (approx numbers with few examples)
        • How Ontologies have been applied for those ETD database ?
        • Use of ontologies in database like ...Proquest & OCLC
        • Commercial databases (approx numbers with few examples)
        Thanking you in anticipation.

        Thanks & Regards

        Bhojaraju G,
        Librarian – Knowledge Management, (Sharepoint Administrator)
        Bangalore, INDIA.
        Pl do visit & put your comments on Guest Book
        "KM Cyberary" @ http://www.bhojarajug.freeservers.com/cyberary.html
      • Leonard Will
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
          In message <17e809440511080434w7bfdc371vd5bc8ed3ddd7908a@...>
          on Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Bhojaraju G <bhojaraju.g@...> wrote
          > Hi,
          > I am doing a study on "Ontologies for ETDs" (Electronic Theses &
          >Dissertations). So i wish to know about the following information
          >urgently.

          > - Major ETDs in the world (approx numbers with few examples)
          > - How Ontologies have been applied for those ETD database ?
          > - Use of ontologies in database like ...Proquest & OCLC
          - Commercial databases (approx numbers with few examples)

          I'm not sure how the fact that theses and dissertations happen to be
          published in electronic form affects the way in which their contents
          should be classified or subject indexed. Are you really just looking for
          a scheme to organise the information contained in theses and
          dissertations, irrespective of format?

          The major databases that I know of are _Dissertation abstracts_ and the
          UK publication _Index to theses_. The first of these has an expandable
          subject tree in its "advanced search" option
          <http://wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/search/advanced/subject>, while the
          other publishes its classification scheme at
          <http://www.theses.com/classandunilist.html> (scroll down past the list
          of universities).

          These schemes are not very specific, but may let you see what is
          currently being used. No doubt there are similar products in other
          countries.

          Leonard Will

          --
          Willpower Information (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
          Information Management Consultants Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092