Re: [TaxoCoP] ISKO UK Biennial Conference 4th-5th July 2011 - Final reminder: registration closes on June 24th

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2011
      I made a special effort to be at this conference despite the distance (I'm coming from Singapore) because of the very high calibre of speakers, the quality of the UK taxonomy community, and the work that has been put into the quality of the papers to be published.

      Non UK (and non-library/info studies colleagues) may not be aware of Bryan Vickery's work - he was a visionary in connecting the library/info studies profession to the theory of knowledge organisation. The programme offers a unique set of perspectives on the current issues of knowledge organisation, both historical and forward looking, theoretical and practical, and I think will provide a very refreshing set of views beyond the normal technical alleyways we tend to get locked into.

      I am very much looking forward to it and strongly encourage colleagues who haven't yet registered to take a closer look at the programme and consider going (full disclosure: I was on the review committee and am speaking at the event, but I am going at my own expense).

      website: www.straitsknowledge.com

      Have you seen our new KM Planning Toolkit?

      On Jun 13, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Frances Huckle wrote:

      Dear colleagues

      Don’t miss the final date of June 24th for registration for the ISKO UK Biennial Conference  at University College London on 4th-5th July. It honours the life and achievements of Brian C Vickery, a pioneer in our field. Details of the event are on the conference site, where you can also register.

      < span style="font-size:10.0pt;">The theme is Facets of Knowledge Organization, with 28 presentations as well as seven posters. Day One includes a special session co-organized by our colleagues in the European network of NKOS (Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services). The topic, “What role can KOS play in information retrieval applications?” was inspired by Brian Vickery’s longstanding interest in information retrieval. On the second day we shall hear from several other speakers who have drawn on Vickery’s legacy.

      Our keynote speakers include Stephen Robertson, who, after leaving the Aslib Research Department under Brian Vickery, spent many years leading the Centre for Interactive Systems at City University and is now a full-time researcher at the Microsoft Research Laboratory in Cambridge; and Amanda Spink, recently appointed to the Chair in Information Science at Loughborough University, moving from the School of Information Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh. Details of the programme are available on the website.

      This year the Proceedings will be published and sent to all those attending the Conference, including not only the presented papers, but a selection of papers either by, or about, Brian Vickery.

      Please let any interested colleagues know, and we look forward to welcoming you to an enjoyable and important event

      ISKO is a not-for-profit scientific/professional association with the objective of promoting research and communication in the domain of knowledge organization, within the broad field of information science an d related disciplines. Founded in 2007, our UK Chapter has been attracting lively and steadily growing audiences to its afternoon meeting series as well as its very successful first conference in 2009.

      Fran Huckle

      Secretary

      ISKO UK

      info@...

      With apologies for any cross-posting

    • Frances
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2011
        Patrick,
        Many thanks for your endorsement of our conference! Thanks to the army of volunteer organisers,the support of UCL and the generosity of speakers and sponsors, we believe it is excellent value for money. Look forward to meeting you there.
        Fran Huckle