Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: Taxonomy Capabilities of major ECMs

  • Matt Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
      Thanks Ahren,

      I think with this organisation, there is not the level of interest to justify the $ for a standalone taxonomy tool - yet. To begin with, this is just about managing the taxonomy structures inside the ECM, not outside.

      My sense is that most of the larger systems allow the creation and management of metadata fields. These might be easy to create or require customisation. What they don't offer is anything like cross-system taxonomy management, autoclassification, etc.

      Regards,

      Matt

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
        Annie,

        "We have over 19 systems consuming the Enterprise Taxonomy managed in Synaptica"

        That's interesting - are all these systems based on the SharePoint platform or
        does this vary? Does this include ERP-type systems?

        "The biggest challenge we had with taxonomy implementation in SharePoint 2010 is

        to manage both global and local preferred terms (not just position local
        preferred terms as synonyms to global preferred terms). We need to allow content

        contributors to tag content using taxonomy that they are familiar with, while
        all content need to be aggregated globally for sharing/reuse and eventually be
        able to retrieved by end users in local context. Are there any companies
        experiencing the same challenges? I would love to learn your
        approach/solutions J"

        So in MOSS 2007, there is the ability to tag documents according to "audience".
        I'm guessing that SP 2010 can't link particular term sets to particular
        audiences? I too would like to hear solutions to glocal vocabulary problems.

        Regards,

        Matt

        P.S. Deloitte has lots of very good people in its KM team - esp. in the MidWest!

        ________________________________
        I will agree that SharePoint 2010 is not a Taxonomy Management tool. In our
        company, we use Synaptica to model our taxonomy, manage data relationship and
        attributes, then provide web services to the managed metadata term store in
        SharePoint 2010 CMS and other firm business applications. We have over 19
        systems consuming the Enterprise Taxonomy managed in Synaptica.

        The biggest challenge we had with taxonomy implementation in SharePoint 2010 is
        to manage both global and local preferred terms (not just position local
        preferred terms as synonyms to global preferred terms). We need to allow content

        contributors to tag content using taxonomy that they are familiar with, while
        all content need to be aggregated globally for sharing/reuse and eventually be
        able to retrieved by end users in local context. Are there any companies
        experiencing the same challenges? I would love to learn your approach/solutions

        Annie Wang
        Global Knowledge Management
        Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu
        Tel: +1 312 486 4790
        Tel: +1 312 371 9829
        Fax:+1 312 247 4790
        anniewang@...
        www.deloitte.com

        111 S. Wacker Drive
        Chicago, IL 60606
        USA

        intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you

        are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

        Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any

        v.E.1