Taxonomy Capabilities of major ECMs

  • Matt Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2011
      Hello,

      I'm doing some work with a client and they are working on a taxonomy project
      alongside an ECM selection project. They are mostly focusing on the most
      well-known vendors in this space (MS SharePoint, Documentum, OpenText, Oracle,
      IBM Filenet). I'd be interested to know how the people on this list rate these
      vendors from a taxonomy perspective - e.g. historically SharePoint has been
      problematic but 2010 offers some improvements in metadata management.

      Where have people found a particular product useful? And conversely, where have
      they found weaknesses?

      Regards,

      Matt Moore
    • Ahren
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2011
        Matt,

        My most recent experience with taxonomy in an ECM system has been in SharePoint 2010. The managed metadata and taxonomy functionality in SP 2010 is much improved from 2007, but I would definitely not call it a taxonomy tool.

        For SharePoint, it really depends on what you are using it for. Are you creating a SharePoint only environment and only need limited taxonomy ability to work with tagging? Then it might be ok because SharePoint works best when a closed environment. That is rarely the case and as soon as you add another system, you have immediately complicated things by a factor of 10.

        There are extenders for SharePoint 2010 taxonomy, such as conceptClassifier from Concept Searching and Dow Jones' Synaptica, but I don't know much about these tools.

        I wish I could say more about the other ECM vendors, but I don't have enough first-hand experience. My gut tells me that they will all do taxonomy in a limited fashion and you may want to investigate a tool that can work well with an ECM system, such as SmartLogic's Semaphore, Access Innovations' Data Harmony, and some open source tools like MultiThes and Protege.

        Hope this helps!

        Ahren

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm doing some work with a client and they are working on a taxonomy project
        > alongside an ECM selection project. They are mostly focusing on the most
        > well-known vendors in this space (MS SharePoint, Documentum, OpenText, Oracle,
        > IBM Filenet). I'd be interested to know how the people on this list rate these
        > vendors from a taxonomy perspective - e.g. historically SharePoint has been
        > problematic but 2010 offers some improvements in metadata management.
        >
        > Where have people found a particular product useful? And conversely, where have
        > they found weaknesses?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Matt Moore

      • Wang, Annie Yun (US - Chicago)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2011

          I will agree that SharePoint 2010 is not  a Taxonomy Management  tool. In our company, we use Synaptica to model our taxonomy, manage data relationship and attributes, then provide web services to the managed metadata term store in SharePoint 2010 CMS and other firm business applications. We have over 19 systems consuming the Enterprise Taxonomy managed in Synaptica.

          The biggest challenge we had with taxonomy implementation in SharePoint 2010 is to manage both global and local preferred terms (not just position local preferred terms as synonyms to global preferred terms). We need to allow content contributors to tag content using taxonomy that they are familiar with, while all content need to be aggregated globally for sharing/reuse and eventually be able to retrieved by end users in local context.  Are there any companies experiencing the same challenges? I would love to learn your approach/solutions J

          Annie Wang
          Global Knowledge Management
          Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu

          Tel: +1 312 486 4790
          Tel: +1 312 371 9829
          Fax:+1 312 247 4790
          anniewang@...
          www.deloitte.com

          111 S. Wacker Drive
          Chicago, IL 60606
          USA

          This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

          Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

          v.E.1

        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
            Thanks Ahren,

            I think with this organisation, there is not the level of interest to justify the $ for a standalone taxonomy tool - yet. To begin with, this is just about managing the taxonomy structures inside the ECM, not outside.

            My sense is that most of the larger systems allow the creation and management of metadata fields. These might be easy to create or require customisation. What they don't offer is anything like cross-system taxonomy management, autoclassification, etc.

            Regards,

            Matt

            My most recent experience with taxonomy in an ECM system has been in SharePoint 2010. The managed metadata and taxonomy functionality in SP 2010 is much improved from 2007, but I would definitely not call it a taxonomy tool.

            For SharePoint, it really depends on what you are using it for. Are you creating a SharePoint only environment and only need limited taxonomy ability to work with tagging? Then it might be ok because SharePoint works best when a closed environment. That is rarely the case and as soon as you add another system, you have immediately complicated things by a factor of 10.

            There are extenders for SharePoint 2010 taxonomy, such as conceptClassifier from Concept Searching and Dow Jones' Synaptica, but I don't know much about these tools.

            I wish I could say more about the other ECM vendors, but I don't have enough first-hand experience. My gut tells me that they will all do taxonomy in a limited fashion and you may want to investigate a tool that can work well with an ECM system, such as SmartLogic's Semaphore, Access Innovations' Data Harmony, and some open source tools like MultiThes and Protege.

            Hope this helps!

            Ahren

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I'm doing some work with a client and they are working on a taxonomy project
            > alongside an ECM selection project. They are mostly focusing on the most
            > well-known vendors in this space (MS SharePoint, Documentum, OpenText, Oracle,
            > IBM Filenet). I'd be interested to know how the people on this list rate these
            > vendors from a taxonomy perspective - e.g. historically SharePoint has been
            > problematic but 2010 offers some improvements in metadata management.
            >
            > Where have people found a particular product useful? And conversely, where have
            > they found weaknesses?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Matt Moore

          • Matt Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2011
              Annie,

              "We have over 19 systems consuming the Enterprise Taxonomy managed in Synaptica"

              That's interesting - are all these systems based on the SharePoint platform or
              does this vary? Does this include ERP-type systems?

              "The biggest challenge we had with taxonomy implementation in SharePoint 2010 is

              to manage both global and local preferred terms (not just position local
              preferred terms as synonyms to global preferred terms). We need to allow content

              contributors to tag content using taxonomy that they are familiar with, while
              all content need to be aggregated globally for sharing/reuse and eventually be
              able to retrieved by end users in local context. Are there any companies
              experiencing the same challenges? I would love to learn your
              approach/solutions J"

              So in MOSS 2007, there is the ability to tag documents according to "audience".
              I'm guessing that SP 2010 can't link particular term sets to particular
              audiences? I too would like to hear solutions to glocal vocabulary problems.

              Regards,

              Matt

              P.S. Deloitte has lots of very good people in its KM team - esp. in the MidWest!