unique URLs and AJAX

  • Nick Berry
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website that uses AJAX to dynamically refresh search results while at the same time also providing unique URLs for each refresh?  I know this is kind of obscure but it seems to me that users are going to want deep links for sharing search results.

      Cheers,
      Nick
      Information Architect

    • Rob Page
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
        On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Nick Berry wrote:
        > Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website
        > that uses AJAX to dynamically refresh search results while
        > at the same time also providing unique URLs for each
        > refresh? I know this is kind of obscure but it seems to
        > me that users are going to want deep links for sharing
        > search results.

        Ajax calls don't (normally) update the URL on "each
        refresh."

        I can certainly imagine offering a "share these results"
        that includes a link that reconstitutes the facet state and
        other search terms. We've done this before by saving search
        state (e.g., as a JSON document) with an ID. The link can
        then be very short, e.g.,

        site.com/saved-search?id=w7yh

        Hope this helps.

        --
        Rob Page V: 540 361 1710
        Zope Corporation F: 703 995 0412
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
          Nick

          I don't know if we use AJAX, but we do have our facets in our URLs

          http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Appliances_Refrigerators_Side-by-Side?filter=ENERGY+STAR+Compliant|Yes^Ice+Maker|Yes^Color+Family|Black&viewItems=25

          This is the end node of side by side refrigerators narrowed by the attributes 'color', 'energy star' & 'Ice Maker'.

          Hope this helps

          Clint Elmore
          Taxonomic Data Governance Czar
          Sears Holding Corporation
          clint.elmore@...

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Nick Berry <infoglutton@...> wrote:

          > Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website that uses AJAX to
          > dynamically refresh search results while at the same time also providing
          > unique URLs for each refresh? I know this is kind of obscure but it seems
          > to me that users are going to want deep links for sharing search results.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Nick
          > Information Architect
          > www.rei.com

        • Nick Berry
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
            True but there are major SEO implications resulting from not being able to label canonical pages (which require a series of URL parameters to distinguish between pages with duplicate content, as faceted search results will create).

            Surely this problem is being investigated by some IA somewhere...

            On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Rob Page <rob.page@...> wrote:

            On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Nick Berry wrote:
            > Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website
            > that uses AJAX to dynamically refresh search results while
            > at the same time also providing unique URLs for each
            > refresh? I know this is kind of obscure but it seems to
            > me that users are going to want deep links for sharing
            > search results.

            Ajax calls don't (normally) update the URL on "each
            refresh."

            I can certainly imagine offering a "share these results"
            that includes a link that reconstitutes the facet state and
            other search terms. We've done this before by saving search
            state (e.g., as a JSON document) with an ID. The link can
            then be very short, e.g.,

            site.com/saved-search?id=w7yh

            Hope this helps.

            --
            Rob Page V: 540 361 1710
            Zope Corporation F: 703 995 0412

          • searchtools1
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
              Nick, et al.,

              I was just reading about this the other day, for no particularly good reason, but it should be useful ehre. Google has created a system which they call "Making AJAX Applications Crawlable" about this kind of issue, and recommend using a #! (hash bang) to construct the URL, which they will then crawl raw but present nicely in search results.

              http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/index.html

              My only caveat is not to hardcode this stuff: Google changes their systems all the time, so flexibility is worth investing in.

              Avi

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
                This is great info, Avi, thanks!

                On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM, searchtools1 <nets8@...> wrote:

                Nick, et al.,

                I was just reading about this the other day, for no particularly good reason, but it should be useful ehre. Google has created a system which they call "Making AJAX Applications Crawlable" about this kind of issue, and recommend using a #! (hash bang) to construct the URL, which they will then crawl raw but present nicely in search results.

                http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/index.html

                My only caveat is not to hardcode this stuff: Google changes their systems all the time, so flexibility is worth investing in.

                Avi

                --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Nick Berry <infoglutton@...> wrote:

                > True but there are major SEO implications resulting from not being able to label canonical pages (which require a series of URL parameters to distinguish between pages with duplicate content, as faceted search results will create).
                >
                > Surely this problem is being investigated by some IA somewhere...
                >

                > On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Rob Page <rob.page@...> wrote:
                >
                > > On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Nick Berry wrote:
                > > > Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website
                > > > that uses AJAX to dynamically refresh search results while
                > > > at the same time also providing unique URLs for each
                > > > refresh? I know this is kind of obscure but it seems to
                > > > me that users are going to want deep links for sharing
                > > > search results.
                > >
                > > Ajax calls don't (normally) update the URL on "each
                > > refresh."
                > >
                > > I can certainly imagine offering a "share these results"
                > > that includes a link that reconstitutes the facet state and
                > > other search terms. We've done this before by saving search
                > > state (e.g., as a JSON document) with an ID. The link can
                > > then be very short, e.g.,
                > >
                > > site.com/saved-search?id=w7yh
                > >
                > > Hope this helps.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Rob Page V: 540 361 1710
                > > Zope Corporation F: 703 995 0412

              • marijane white
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
                  Coincidentally, I was just reading about this today as well... in the context of a rant about how it's broken the web.
                  http://www.isolani.co.uk/blog/javascript/BreakingTheWebWithHashBangs

                  -marijane

                  On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM, searchtools1 <nets8@...> wrote:
                  Nick, et al.,

                  I was just reading about this the other day, for no particularly good reason, but it should be useful ehre.  Google has created a system which they call "Making AJAX Applications Crawlable" about this kind of issue, and recommend using a #! (hash bang) to construct the URL, which they will then crawl raw but present nicely in search results.

                  http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/index.html

                  My only caveat is not to hardcode this stuff: Google changes their systems all the time, so flexibility is worth investing in.

                  Avi

                  --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Nick Berry <infoglutton@...> wrote:

                  > True but there are major SEO implications resulting from not being able to label canonical pages (which require a series of URL parameters to distinguish between pages with duplicate content, as faceted search results will create).
                  >
                  > Surely this problem is being investigated by some IA somewhere...
                  >

                  > On Feb 9, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Rob Page <rob.page@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Nick Berry wrote:
                  > > > Hi, does anyone know of an example of a faceted website
                  > > > that uses AJAX to dynamically refresh search results while
                  > > > at the same time also providing unique URLs for each
                  > > > refresh? I know this is kind of obscure but it seems to
                  > > > me that users are going to want deep links for sharing
                  > > > search results.
                  > >
                  > > Ajax calls don't (normally) update the URL on "each
                  > > refresh."
                  > >
                  > > I can certainly imagine offering a "share these results"
                  > > that includes a link that reconstitutes the facet state and
                  > > other search terms. We've done this before by saving search
                  > > state (e.g., as a JSON document) with an ID. The link can
                  > > then be very short, e.g.,
                  > >
                  > > site.com/saved-search?id=w7yh
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Rob Page V: 540 361 1710
                  > > Zope Corporation F: 703 995 0412

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                     TaxoCoP-digest@yahoogroups.com
                     TaxoCoP-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Michael Griffiths
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
                    It's not terribly difficult to do. I know SearchSpring (uses Lucene), which specializes in providing search to ecommerce websites, pushes their AJAX search. Here's an example:

                    I happen to know this because a site I manage uses SearchSpring to drive their ecommerce search. Example:

                    The implemented version (second link) is a pretty small database (18,000 items) and has >115 facets. Only 10 are shown at a time.

                    I've also seen this implemented in Solr; I think there's a reference/open source implementation, though IIRC is was rather crude. We decided to go with SearchSpring instead, so I never did much with it.