Good taxonomy management tools with ability to add and maintain custom term attributes

  • Gabriel Tanase
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hello all,

      From your experience, which taxonomy management tool or tools have you found, and hopefully used successfully, which comfortably and seamlessly allow adding and maintaining custom, user-defined attributes for terms, and allowable values (where restrictions are needed) for such custom attributes ?

      Thanks a lot for sharing!

      Kind regards,
      Gabriel
      ----------
      http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrieltanase

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011

        That happens to be Wordmap’s strength.  You can have lists of values on metadata terms.  CV’s for your CV’s.

        Seth Earley

        CEO
        _____________________________

        EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
        Cell: 781-820-8080

        Email: seth@...

        Web: www.earley.com

        Follow me on twitter: sethearley

        Connect with me on  LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
          Hi Gabriel,

          I think that you will find most taxonomy management tools have this capability, and I would certainly encourage you to take a look at Synaptica KMS as well. With it, you can connect attribute values to pre-defined lists in the system, and also place certain “data entry rules” to maintain consistency and quality of your data.

          Jim

          Jim Sweeney
          Product Manager, Synaptica LLC
          email: jim.sweeney@...
          phone: +1-303-298-1947

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
            Hello Gabriel,

            The features you describe are supported by almost all the taxonomy management tools I am aware of, including:

            Data Harmony
            SchemaLogic
            Synaptica
            Wordmap
            Top Quadrant

            A slightly outdated list of taxonomy tools,  but decent starting place can be found here:  http://taxocop.wikispaces.com/TaxoTools.

            You may also want to determine if the set of attributes applied to terms is global (applies to all terms no matter which taxonomy they are in) or at the taxonomy level (which means you could have a different set of attributes for terms in the "Product" taxonomy versus the "Geography" taxonomy.

            Gary Carlson

            On Feb 1, 2011, at 3:34 AM, Gabriel Tanase wrote:

            Hello all,

            From your experience, which taxonomy management tool or tools have you found, and hopefully used successfully, which comfortably and seamlessly allow adding and maintaining custom, user-defined attributes for terms, and allowable values (where restrictions are needed) for such custom attributes ?

            Thanks a lot for sharing!

            Kind regards,
            Gabriel
            ----------
            http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrieltanase

          • Heather Hedden
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2011
              Hi all,

              MultiTes also easily supports user-defined attributes for terms and user-defined controlled values for those attributes. I have done that myself with MultiTes.

              Heather

              --
              Heather Hedden
              www.hedden-information.com

              On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Gary Carlson <garyecarlson@...> wrote:

[...]

              From your experience, which taxonomy management tool or tools have you found, and hopefully used successfully, which comfortably and seamlessly allow adding and maintaining custom, user-defined attributes for terms, and allowable values (where restrictions are needed) for such custom attributes ?

              Thanks a lot for sharing!

              Kind regards,
              Gabriel
              ----------
              http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrieltanase

            • Keipat Patkei
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                Add SAS/Teragram's Ontology Management Studio in there.

                Keith DeWeese

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 2, 2011
                  All,

                  Thank you very much for your responses. I am glad to hear that all or most major tools do support this feature.

                  Thanks a lot!
                  Gabriel

                  On 1 February 2011 11:34, Gabriel Tanase <gabtanase@...> wrote:
                  Hello all,

                  From your experience, which taxonomy management tool or tools have you found, and hopefully used successfully, which comfortably and seamlessly allow adding and maintaining custom, user-defined attributes for terms, and allowable values (where restrictions are needed) for such custom attributes ?

                  Thanks a lot for sharing!

                  Kind regards,
                  Gabriel
                  ----------
                  http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrieltanase

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 6, 2011

                    After I posted a note saying that Wordmap had some functions in the area of custom metadata, there were several responses that said in essence “all taxo management tools have this”.

                    That is kind of like saying “all content management tools have workflow”.  Yes, it is a checkbox, but for anyone who has developed workflow, the way this capability is implemented can sometimes be nearly unusable.

                    We worked with a tool a number of years ago by a major vendor with a well known consulting firm. The workflows that were created by the consulting firm using the software were not at all user friendly and the customer ultimately scrapped the project and purchased another workflow tool.

                    In some applications, custom metadata is hidden, complex or overly cumbersome.

                    At the end of the day, it is always about usability and fitness to purpose since most vendors of particular tools will “check the box” that their system has a particular capability.  Always investigate with your data and your scenarios.

                    Here is a comment on this from Paul Wlodarczyk a consultant at Earley who has done numerous product bake offs in the taxonomy management and search enhancement tool space:

                    ---------------------------

                    It’s true that MOST of them have term attributes that can be defined and any meta can be added to a node. One tool even lets you put attributes on relationships (the example they us is “Tony Blair” and “UK” have a relationship of “prime minster of” that has attributes for the start and end date of that relationship).

                    Wordmap was unique in that you were explicit if the meta was specific to a system. It was nice to see that exposed in the GUI in a clear fashion, rather than hidden in some admin config file that determines how to do an extraction from the taxonomy to a specific consuming system. We see a lot of implementations using other tools where the attributes are full of content for a consuming system (sometimes even pages of HTML), but it’s not clear in the GUI that the metadata is for a specific consuming system.

                    Cheers,

                    Paul

                    -----------------------

                    I think the bottom line is to look at your use cases and test according to specific scenarios to understand how the tools handle custom metadata.

                    By the way, if anyone wants to update the Wiki entry on taxo management tools just request membership and edit away!

[...]

                    From your experience, which taxonomy management tool or tools have you found, and hopefully used successfully, which comfortably and seamlessly allow adding and maintaining custom, user-defined attributes for terms, and allowable values (where restrictions are needed) for such custom attributes ?

                    Thanks a lot for sharing!

                    Kind regards,
                    Gabriel