RE: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomy V/s Ontologies

  • InfoPlex Associates
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 11, 2005
      Janice,

      Thanks for your kind words regarding my home-spun 'definitions' of ontology vs. taxonomy vs.
      thesaurus vs. classification. You are of course quite correct when you say I meant to cite LCC as an
      example of a classification where alphabetic notation has been applied, not LCSH. Apologies to
      anyone I misled through that slip - but it was very late!

      Regards,

      Bob

      >>Principal Associate<<
      >>InfoPlex Associates<<
    • InfoPlex Associates
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 11, 2005
        Leonard,

        Many thanks for your erudite clarification of classification and classifications. It shows we all
        have something to learn from each other! I wonder if Bhojaraju G who originally asked the question
        has learned what he was seeking to learn from this brief interchange?

        Regards,

        Bob

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
          Hi

          Thanks a ton for giving useful information.

          I have also provided good stuff on "KM Cyberary" @ http://www.bhojarajug.freeservers.com/cyberary.html under section - T, S, O in aphabetical order.

          Thanks & Regards

          Bhojaraju G,
          Librarian/Knowledge Management/Sharepoint Administrator
          Homepage: http://www.bhojarajug.freeservers.com

          Message: 2
            Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 00:48:38 +0100
            From: "InfoPlex Associates" <bbater@...>
          Subject: RE: Taxonomy V/s Ontologies

          Dear Bhojaraju G,

          In my Corporate Taxonomy workshop which I am presenting tomorrow at Aslib in
          London, UK, I describe the differences like this:
          a.. An Ontology is concerned only to identify and distinguish concepts and
          their relationships
          b.. A Taxonomy formalizes the hierarchical relationships among concepts
          and specifies the term to be used to refer to each concept
          Thus:

          An Ontology describes content and relationships
          A Taxonomy prescribes structure and terminology

          A Thesaurus:
          a.. provides an initial entry-point – in the user's terms – to the
          structured language (of the taxonomy) used to index documents
          b.. presents the Preferred Term in context
          IMHO, Classifications are essentially taxonomies where notation (a numerical
          or alphanumerical identifier) has been assigned to each node in order to
          provide a means of ordering items on retrieval, either digitally via search
          result sets or physically in terms of filing order (shelf order in
          libraries). The Dewey Decimal and Universal Decimal classifications are
          examples which use numerical notation. The Library of Congress Subject
          Headings (LCSH) are an example where alphabetic notation has been applied.

          I hope this helps.

          Regards,
          >>Principal Associate<<
          >>InfoPlex Associates<<

          Message: 4
            Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:03:11 -0400
            From: Bob Doyle <bobdoyle@...>

          Hi Bob and Bhojaraju,

          We are drafting some relationships among Taxonomies, Thesauri, and
          Ontologies
          at http://www.cmsreview.com/IA/taxonomy.html

          There you will find links to more substantial definitions in an
          Information Architecture Glossary.

          Bob Doyle

          Message: 6
            Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:03:29 -0400
            From: "Janice M Herd" <jher@...>

          Bob,
          I like the description of ontology vs. taxonomy and the information about thesauri. I also agree with your definition of classification which is "Classifications are essentially taxonomies where notation (a numerical or alphanumerical identifier) has been assigned to each node in order to provide a means of ordering items on retrieval, either digitally via search result sets or physically in terms of filing order (shelf order in libraries)."

          I agree also with your depiction of Dewey and UDC as examples of numerial notation. You stated:
          " The Dewey Decimal and Universal Decimal classifications are
          examples which use numerical notation."
          I believe you meant to say Library of Congress classification NOT Library of Congress Subject Headings in the following quote:
          "The Library of Congress Subject
          Headings (LCSH) are an example where alphabetic notation has been applied."
          LCC is the classification system which compares to the Dewey and UDC.
          LCSH is not a classification system but a thesaurus.
          I am sure this was a slip. Just wanted to make your already wonderful definitions complete.

          agree that

          Jan Herd
          Business Reference Librarian
          Science, Technology & Business Division
          The Library of Congress
          Washington, D.C. 20540
          Tel. 202 707-1216
          Fax 202 707-1925

          >>> bbater@... 10/10/05 7:48:38 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
            Thanks Bob - I found this very useful.

            Todd Bolsen
            Solution Architect
            Macquarium Intelligent Communications
            Mobile: 404-660-8966
            Work: 404-554-4215

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=ControlledVocabulary>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Keyword>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=SubjectHeadings>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=AuthorityFile>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Synonym>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Folksonomy>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Categorization>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Classification>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Taxonomy>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Thesaurus>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Polyhierarchy>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=MultipleHierarchies>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=FacetedClassification>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=TopicMap>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=SemanticNetwork>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=Ontology>

            <http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossary.html?term=SemanticWeb>)

            ************************************************************************************************************************
            > > Bangalore-560004, INDIA.
            > > Cell:+91-944 836 9905
            > > E-mail: Bhojaraju.G@...
            > <mailto:Bhojaraju.G@...>,
            > > bhojarajug@...
            > <mailto:bhojarajug@...>

            > > Business finances

            > > Knowledge management

            > > Publishing

            > > Taxonomy

            === message truncated ===

            __________________________________
            Yahoo! Music Unlimited
            http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
          • Bhojaraju G
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
              Hi

              Obviously l learnt lot with these interactions. Will summarise all n come back soon.

              But one doubt still hv in mind is that somewhere i read Ontologies for web resources/semantic world. Pl clarify.

              Thanks for all who actively participated in this debate.

              Bhojaraju

              Message: 3
                Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:40:36 +0100
                From: "InfoPlex Associates" < bbater@...>

              Leonard,

              Many thanks for your erudite clarification of classification and classifications.  It shows we all
              have something to learn from each other! I wonder if Bhojaraju G who originally asked the question
              has learned what he was seeking to learn from this brief interchange?

              Regards,

              Bob

              Thanks & Regards

              Bhojaraju G,
              Librarian – Knowledge Management, (Sharepoint Administrator)
              Homepage: http://www.bhojarajug.freeservers.com
              Pl do visit & put your comments on Guest Book
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
                Bob,

                As others have commented, I think your offering is an extremely useful resource for clarifying our understanding of the nature and function of all these devices for organizing knowledge and information. Let us hope that it will stimulate an ongoing discussion on this listserv to clarify things even more. Responses please?

                Regards,

                Bob

                >>Principal
                Associate<<
                >>InfoPlex Associates<<

                We are drafting some relationships among Taxonomies, Thesauri, and Ontologies
                at http://www.cmsreview.com/IA/taxonomy.html

                There you will find links to more substantial definitions in an Information Architecture Glossary.

                I will try to paste some of it here:

                Taxonomies and other Classification Schemes

                Controlled VocabulariesKeywords Subject Headings Authority Files Synonym Rings FolksonomiesCategorizationHuman-readable classification schemesTaxonomies
                (hierarchical
                tree structures)
                Thesaurus
                (adds relations/
                associations)
                Polyhierarchy
                (items have
                multiple parents)
                Multiple
                Hierarchies
                Faceted
                Classifications
                Machine-readable classification schemesTopic Maps Semantic Networks Ontologies  (Semantic Web)

                Bob Doyle

                InfoPlex Associates wrote:
                Dear Bhojaraju G,

                In my Corporate Taxonomy workshop which I am presenting tomorrow at Aslib in London, UK, I describe the differences like this:
                • An Ontology is concerned only to identify and distinguish concepts and their relationships
                • A Taxonomy formalizes the hierarchical relationships among concepts and specifies the term to be used to refer to each concept
                Thus:

                An Ontology describes content and relationships
                A Taxonomy prescribes structure and terminology

                A Thesaurus:
                • provides an initial entry-point – in the user’s terms – to the structured language (of the taxonomy) used to index documents
                • presents the Preferred Term in context
                IMHO, Classifications are essentially taxonomies where notation (a numerical or alphanumerical identifier) has been assigned to each node in order to provide a means of ordering items on retrieval, either digitally via search result sets or physically in terms of filing order (shelf order in libraries). The Dewey Decimal and Universal Decimal classifications are examples which use numerical notation. The Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) are an example where alphabetic notation has been applied.

                I hope this helps.

                Regards,

                E-mail: Bhojaraju.G@..., bhojarajug@...
                ************************************************************************************************************************

                --
                Bob Doyle
                Editor In Chief, CMS Review - http://www.cmsreview.com

              • InfoPlex Associates
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 16, 2005
                  Hi Bob.

                  Many thanks for the link to this valuable resource. I think there are one or two 'rough edges' yet to be refined, but on the whole, I think you have gone a long way towards describing some difficult concepts in simple-to-understand language. This sort of catch-all glossary of knowledge organization terms, concepts and techniques is long overdue in our field of endeavour. All credit to you for spending the time to research it all and put it together.

                  A couple of suggestions. Firstly, had you thought of perhaps setting this up as a Wiki, so that we can get a wide spectrum of input in order to arrive eventually at some sort of consensual definitions of these concepts? I suggest this not necessarily because I find your definitions lacking in any way, but because there appear to be many 'out there' who have acquired, one way or another, a somewhat confused understanding of them, and we might benefit from knowing how that occurred. Secondly, the Information Architecture Institute, of which I know you are a member (as am I), is putting together a glossary; I assume that this group will be happy to submit its deliberations to IAI and to collaborate in this area?

                  I am about to respond to Bhojaraju separately regarding his query on Semantic Web ontologies. I trust you will be happy to comment should you see fit.

                  Regards,

                  Bob

                  >>Principal
                  Associate<<

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 16, 2005
                    Bhojaraju,

                    I visited your Home Page and Cybrary and am very impressed at your wide range of references and the way you have organized them.

                    Regarding 'Ontologies for web resources/semantic world', I assume you are referring to the role of ontologies in the Semantic Web. I am no expert in the Semantic Web (SW), and am happy for other members of this group to correct me, but my understanding is as follows.

                    In the SW, a user will enter a search query, which will initially be analyzed by a software agent to establish the key concepts it contains. These concepts will be used by the agent to interrogate various inference engines and online ontologies of relevant subject domains in order to expand the initial query into a comprehensive, probability-based complex query. This expanded query will then be submitted to various metadata repositories in order to compile a 'hit list' of relevant global resources which will then be returned to the user. The role of ontologies in this process is to establish the probable 'aboutness' (ie. subject) of the query. Anyone care to comment further to help Bhojaraju (and me!)?

                    Regards,

                    Bob

                    >>Principal
                    Associate<<

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 16, 2005
                      Hi Bob,

                      Thanks for the kind words.

                      InfoPlex Associates wrote:
                      Hi Bob.

                      Many thanks for the link to this valuable resource. I think there are one or two 'rough edges' yet to be refined, but on the whole, I think you have gone a long way towards describing some difficult concepts in simple-to-understand language. This sort of catch-all glossary of knowledge organization terms, concepts and techniques is long overdue in our field of endeavour. All credit to you for spending the time to research it all and put it together.

                      A couple of suggestions. Firstly, had you thought of perhaps setting this up as a Wiki, so that we can get a wide spectrum of input in order to arrive eventually at some sort of consensual definitions of these concepts?
                      Exactly our thinking. We have indeed set up an open collaborative wiki where others can criticize the definitions and add new ones. We propose to put all this work under a Creative Commons license so it can be used by any interested parties. The wiki is at http://www.cmswiki.com. Please register so you can add and edit terms there.

                      We then have written a web services connector that parses the definitions and feeds them to a two-line script that adds the current glossary to any web page. This is totally dynamic.  Links to all the current terms are packaged into a drop-down menu.

                      Here's the script for the IA Glossary:

                      <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.cmsreview.com/timelines/skyFeed.html?FeedURL=http://www.cmscalendar.com/ia-glossfeed.html">
                      </script>

                      Check it out on this page:
                      http://www.cmsreview.com/IA/glossary.html

                      Please note the IA style and logo in the popup definitions.

                      Another example of syndication (with a different subset of CM terms and different logo) is at http://www.cmsreview.com.
                      I suggest this not necessarily because I find your definitions lacking in any way, but because there appear to be many 'out there' who have acquired, one way or another, a somewhat confused understanding of them, and we might benefit from knowing how that occurred.
                      Agreed. Good definitions should clarify well-known confusions. Or at least explain when there are multiple uses for a term in different contexts. Software engineers are notorious for reusing terms, overloading them with variant meanings. Note the recent buzz about DITA topics and DITA maps, which have nothing to do with Topic Maps.
                      http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleReader.aspx?ArticleID=14278&AuthorID=155
                      Secondly, the Information Architecture Institute, of which I know you are a member (as am I), is putting together a glossary; I assume that this group will be happy to submit its deliberations to IAI and to collaborate in this area?
                      We have proposed to the IAI Board, and they have accepted the proposal, that we publish a subset of our terms as an IA Glossary, which will complement the existing Glossary of Terms on the IAWiki (I have contributed definitions there), and Kit Hagedorn's Glossary.
                      See http://www.iainstitute.org/pg/glossary.php

                      The IAI Board suggested we email the membership looking for volunteers. We have done so with a limited response. May I count you in the team working on the IA Glossary?

                      I am about to respond to Bhojaraju separately regarding his query on Semantic Web ontologies. I trust you will be happy to comment should you see fit.
                      Happy to.

                      Regards,

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 18, 2005
                        Bob,

                        Great news regarding the Wiki, web services connector and collaboration with the IAI. As for counting me in with the team working on the IA Glossary, I don't suppose I can really refuse now, can I :-)) Thanks for the invitation. I will explore the Wiki later this week.

                        Best regards,

                        Bob

                        >>Principal
                        Associate<<
                        >>InfoPlex Associates<<

                      • InfoPlex Associates
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 21, 2005
                          Bob,

                          I have tried to register with the wiki, but I'm afraid I can't see how to enter the registration code. The page says 'Registration Code: Random Image' but the field is not long enough to accept this. Am I missing something here? Help would be appreciated.

                          Many thanks,

                          Bob

                          >>Principal
                          Associate<<

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 21, 2005
                            Hi Bob,

                            We recently upgraded the wiki software, and now it can't generate those random numbers. We'll fix that soon.

                            So I just joined you myself and assigned you Editor privileges.

                            You should get an email with your password.

                            I hope other TaxoCoP members will join us too as we try to define the jargon of our profession.  http://www.cmswiki.com.

                            Bob Doyle

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 23, 2005
                              Bob,

                              I've received no email with password as yet (00:00 2005-10-23).

                              Regards,

                              Bob

                              >>Principal
                              Associate<<

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 23, 2005
                                Hi Bob,

                                I guess I don't understand that Wiki software.

                                I set your password to InfoPlex.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 23, 2005
                                  Hi all,

                                  Apologies to the group and to Bob.

                                  That automatic reply to the group (instead of the sender) is a big problem.

                                  Anyway, Bob. I hope you can login successfully and change your password.

                                  And if others on this list want to sneak in on your password and help us write better definitions for taxonomy, thesaurus, ontology, etc. you're all welcome.