Re: Master Data Management & Taxonomy

  • david_tappan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2010
      I recently completed the design of an architecture for master data management at a financial services firm. Along with the traditional requirements to align master data among line of business systems, one of the unique requirements of this project was to maintain consistent metadata in the document management system (eDocs). So we have created a custom MDM solution that handles the CRUD cycle for document properties related to line of business entities such as investments, portfolio managers and legal entities. Fortunately for us, it is supported in eDocs to directly update the tables in SQL in which these term sets are stored. We also need to update the same properties in some SharePoint document libraries, and for that, we've used SSIS, which includes a SharePoint list data source connection. This works well for maintaining lookup columns.

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Here in Australia, a number of my clients are becoming interested in a master
      > data management (MDM) approach that links their document taxonomies to their
      > data systems (e.g. ERP, CRM, BI).
      >
      > I'm interested in organizations where taxonomists have been involved in this
      > process. Much of the literature on MDM is focused on the governance of
      > structured data and I am interested in other persecptives.
      >
      > Any help much appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Matt

    • Matt Moore
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 15, 2010
        Gabriel,

        I'm not sure that much of any substance has been written on this topic yet. I hope that people on this list are aware of key taxonomy resources but some good places to start for MDM are:
        http://www.mdmalliancegroup.com/
        http://www.amazon.com/Master-Data-Management-OMG-Press/dp/0123742250/
        http://www.amazon.com/Master-Management-Customer-Integration-Enterprise/dp/0072263490/ (probably best to wait for the 2nd edition that comes out in a few weeks)

        Cheers,

        Matt

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2010
          Hi,

          Having pondered this topic for a bit, I think there are some key issues (mostly around "governance") that we need to tackle pretty quickly:

          1. Responsibility - Who's in charge? Ideally if the CIO is truly a Chief Information Officer (rather than a just focusing on technology or data) then they would be perfect for this role. But are they?

          2. Systems integration. MDM suites are dominated by Oracle and IBM.
          http://www.gartner.com/technology/media-products/reprints/oracle/article158/article158.html
          http://www.gartner.com/technology/media-products/reprints/oracle/article155/article155.html

          What I have not seen from taxonomy vendors is any positioning on how their products align or integrate with MDM products. As I know that vendors monitor this list, now would be a good time to contribute.

          3. MDM vs Taxonomies - different levels of complication for different purposes? Corporate environments are hellish places to try to manage data. Legacy systems, overlapping applications, etc. However the primary consumers of MDM structures are machines. That means that MDM structures can be exceeding complicated as long as they are logically consistent. The primary consumers of taxonomies are people and you have to be careful how much complication that you expose human beings to.

          4. Where do ontologies and folksonomies fit into this mix?

          And that's just for starters. Any answers (or more questions)?

          Regards,

          Matt

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 16, 2010

            I can suggest the work from Leslie Owens of Forrester.  She had presented on a Taxonomy Community of Practice call (http://www.earley.com/webinars/business-processes/role-taxonomy-enterprise-architecture  free with code EAS47 )

            And here is one that hits some of the issues but is more about building competencies http://www.earley.com/webinars/The%20Role%20of%20Taxonomy%20and%20Metadata%20in%20Enterprise%20Information%20Management%20Initiatives

            I will look around and see what else we might have or that I can recommend.

            CEO
            _____________________________

            EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
            Cell: 781-820-8080

            Email: seth@...

            Web: www.earley.com

            Follow me on twitter: sethearley

            Connect with me on  LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2010
              Hi Matt,

              Regarding item 3: The way I think about this is to focus on the purpose or benefit of aligning taxonomy terms and MDM entities. In my mind, the value is that applications can be developed to surface structured and unstructured data together in context so that LOB data and related documents, for example can be built into a single report or dashboard. I like this comparison of taxonomy and master data management:

              "MDM is for the purpose of removing inconsistency in structured data. Taxonomy is for the purpose of removing ambiguity from unstructured data".

              However, to the degree that taxonomy terms exist already in your master data entities, aligning them allows for elegant solutions that surface the relationships between structured and unstructured data. Therefore, the overlap between the two should only go as far as MDM encompasses the same terms as the taxonomy; the taxonomy should not be extended to match the MDM structures. You are quite right that most MDM structures are too complex for human interfaces, but the highest level entities can and should be made to match or at least map to the taxonomy term sets.

              Regards,

              David