What questions do you have for SharePoint partners?

  • leslie_owens
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010

      Forrester clients often ask how best to tag, organize and classify SharePoint content. I am researching taxonomy-related add-ons and ISVs to fill gaps in SharePoint functionality.

      My initial list includes:

      • Concept Searching
      • ITSystems
      • KwizCom
      • MetaVis
      • Networked Planet
      • Scanjour
      • SchemaLogic
      • SharePart XXL
      • SmartLogic
      • Synaptica
      • Wand
      • Wordmap

      Anyone missing?

      I'd love to hear what criteria people in this community care about when selecting among SharePoint partners.

      Please comment with additions, deletions and suggestions. My preliminary list:

      • Experience: date founded, number of employees, partnership status
      • Level of Integration with SP 2010
      • Clients: number of clients using solution, size of clients, reference customer names
      • Cost, licensing and support model
      • Summary of features (what do these tools do?)

      If you have evaluated SharePoint taxonomy and metadata partners, care to share what you learned? What do you need to know about these vendors to make your decision? I'd be happy to send the final report to those who want to chip in -- either here on TaxoCoP or to me via email lowens@.... Thanks! Leslie

      Leslie Owens | Senior Analyst serving Content and Collaboration Professionals | Forrester Research | 400 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA 02139 | Phone: 617-613-6030 | lowens@...

      Please check out Forrester's new community for Content & Collaboration professionals and jump into the conversation.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2010
        We'd like to brief you on an approach to derivation and application of taxonomy, metadata and IA that would leverage multiple tools for SP. Jeff Carr is the expert in this space but he is on vacation for another week or so

        CEO
        Earley & Associates, Inc
        781-820-8080
        seth@...
        www.earley.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
          I would like to add the Layer2 "Knowledge Management Suite for SharePoint 2010":

          http://www.layer2.de/en/products/pages/knowledge-management-suite-sharepoint-2010.aspx

          * Experience: Layer2 was founded 1991, 28 employees, Microsoft Cold Certified Partner. Offers other SharePoint components as well.

          * Level of Integration with SP 2010: Completely build on SharePoint 2010 EMM API, no 2007 legacy, no external tools, indexes, Lycene engine etc - 100% SharePoint 2010.

          * Clients: Only a few 100 clients, because the solution was launched as recently as SharePoint 2010.

          * Costs: USD 1,899 only, licensing per WFE, no CALs, Annual Software Assurance 20%.

          * Summary of features (what do these tools do?)

          Taxonomy Manager for SharePoint 2010: Manage the Term Store with additional managed metadata properties (e.g. tagging rules, related tags), export and import, change management, workflows. Full lifecycle taxonomy management to develop, enhance and maintain term sets.

          Tag Suggester for SharePoint 2010: While tagging an item or document, display a suggestion list based on given Term Store taxonomies, tagging rules, item properties, context and document content. Installed IFilters are used. Microsoft .NET Framework based high-performance content categorization procedures.

          Auto Tagger for SharePoint 2010: Tag items and documents automatically in background without any user interaction, based on given Term Store taxonomies, tagging rules, item properties, context and document content. High quality of subject classification using a high performance Microsoft .NET Framework based rule engine. Auto Tagger could be helpful for initial tagging, e.g. after content migration from any system to SharePoint 2010, as well as for daily background operation.

          Tag Navigation Web Part for SharePoint 2010: Harvest the value of collaborative tagging by using the SharePoint 2010 managed metadata taxonomy tree directly for content discovery and navigation. Flexible link building, e.g. link to Tag Profile page or content result list. Optionally additional information, e.g. tag description and usage count. Template-based design.

          Tag Directory Web Part for SharePoint 2010: Render the SharePoint 2010 managed metadata taxonomy tree as flat A-Z directory category index directly for content discovery and navigation.
          Flexible link building, e.g. link to Tag Profile page or content result list. Optionally additional information, e.g. tag description and usage count. Template-based design.

          Tag Cloud Web Part for SharePoint 2010: Navigate the content by its importance using a familiar taxonomy-based tag cloud. Flexible link building, e.g. link to Tag Profile page or content result list. Optionally additional information, e.g. tag description and usage count. Template-based design.

          Related Content Web Part for SharePoint 2010: Automatically display related content in a given context using managed metadata taxonomies.

          The solution was developed 100% based on the new SharePoint 2010 Server Enterprise Metadata Management API. No legacy or other external systems are used. You may also include any external data source into the SharePoint Knowledge Management and Social Networking features without any restrictions using the Business Data List Connector for SharePoint by Layer2.

          Questions: Contact sales@... .
        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
            I think I'll share this answer with the rest of the list. One observation I would make is that there's an opportunity for taxonomy vendors to become "semantic middleware" or at least maps of jungle-like information ecologies that exist inside most organization (especially larger ones). The second observation I would make is that for smaller, distributed organizations, the SAAS model is looking increasingly attractive for collaboration & ECM products - and thus there is an emerging Taxonomy-As-A-Service opportunity (if appropriately priced). I know one or two vendors are dabbling in this space but I suspect it will get a lot ore traction over the next 18 months.

            I believe that Data Harmony also market themselves as having SharePoint integration.

            A few other things to think about:
            - What services and support (either provided internally or more likely via a  network of partner companies) can the vendor offer (not sure if this is covered already)?
            - SharePoint is often used with other content products - both document and records mgt tools like Documentum, TRIM, Objective, etc and also collaboration tools like Confluence, Socialtext, etc. How do taxonomy tools fit into this menage a trois (or quatre or cinq)?
            - How do they play with FAST?

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
              Please add Access Innovations' Data Harmony to the list. It presents both taxonomy management and categorization tools (Thesaurus Master and M.A.I., bundled as MAIstro) to integrate with SharePoint, boosting tagging accuracy dramatically.
              --alice