RE: [TaxoCoP] Managing a folksonomy

  • Pam Green
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
      Thanks very much Seth!

      Pam

      To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      From: seth@...
      Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 10:11:59 -0700
      Subject: RE: [TaxoCoP] Managing a folksonomy

      Hi Pam,

      Welcome to the group and glad you are finding it a valuable resource.  It’s a great community.

      We actually did a call on taxonomy and social tagging a while back.  There are also a few articles.

      I just did a quick search on my site and there are a number of interesting resources.

      http://www.earley.com/search/node/social%20tagging

      Seth Earley

      CEO
      _____________________________

      EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
      Cell: 781-820-8080

      Email: seth@...

      Web: www.earley.com

      Follow me on twitter: sethearley

      Connect with me on  LinkedIn: www.linkin.com/in/sethearley

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
        Thanks very much Margaret. We are using SharePoint for an intranet site. Looks like the IBF report is for members only but I did find a blog entry that talked about it a bit. I also saw the other email reply about the link correction for Clay Shirky's article (that's one I'm actually familiar with already).

        Just for reference for others who may be interested...I found updated URL's for a couple of the other sources:
        ACM article on Social bookmarking in the enterprise: http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1851600.1851678
        Lou Rosenfeld's blog entry: http://louisrosenfeld.com/home/bloug_archive/2005/01/folksonomies_how_about_metadat.html

        All good stuff! I really appreciate your comments on your own experience at Thomson Reuters. Details on actual enterprise/intranet "learnings" (to use some Microsoft jargon) are like gold in my book. I really enjoyed the IBF24 webcast for this reason...although I unfortunately missed the Thomson Reuters live tour and don't see it offered in the 'watch again' list (http://www.ibforum.com/?ibf24watchagain). ;-)

        Thank you again,
        Pam

        To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
        From: margaret.ostrander@...
        Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:16:33 +0000
        Subject: [TaxoCoP] Re: Managing a folksonomy

        Hello Pam –
        Welcome! The Intranet Benchmarking Forum (IBF) has a white paper from January 2010 titled The social art of tagging : social bookmarking behind the firewall, although I'm not sure if you're using Sharepoint for an intranet site or an external site. This resource may be for IBF members-only, but you can check things out on their website at ibforum.com.

        Some additional references. These are all a few years old and offer diverse perspectives. Not saying I agree 100% with all of them, but they each have some value:
        • Social bookmarking in the enterprise http://queue.acm.org/detail/cfm?id=1105676
        • Folksonomies: tidying up tags? http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january06/guy/01guy.html
        • Folksonomies? How about metadata ecologies? http://www.louisrosenfeld.com/home/blog_archive/00330.html
        • Ontology is Overrated: Categories, Links, and Tags (Clay Shirky) http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontoloby_overrated.html

        Also, here at Thomson Reuters we have developed a home-grown folksonomy management system for user-generated tags that employees add to their profiles in the company directory. It's been quite difficult to keep on top of the reviewing tags (we're up to 22,000) as our only solution at this point is manual. We have developed some ad hoc standards around tag cleanup: 1) focus on the most business critical of the bunch 2) special attention is paid to the top 500 tags representing the real "short head" of our "long tail" 3) where possible, we review tags to merge synonyms, make spelling corrections, clarify acronyms, etc (this has proven challenging to stay on top of given time & resource constraints) 1) we ignore "personal" tags like "volleyball" as they are not as business critical.

        I hope this is helpful, and best of luck with what can be a challenging task!

        Margaret Ostrander
        Sr. Knowledge Strategist
        Thomson Reuters
        Phone: 651.848.8552
        margaret.ostrander@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2010
          Sorry for yet another email but I want to correct the URL I sent for the ACM article (wrong article). The correct one is http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1105664.1105676.

          Pam

          To: taxocop@yahoogroups.com

          From: margaret.ostrander@...
          Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:16:33 +0000

> [...]

          > looking for some more detailed information on doing this kind of work.
          >

          > I am working my way through a copy of "Tagging: People-powered Metadata for
          > the Social Web" by Gene Smith and found a couple reference in there to
          > papers. Any other resources or thoughts on this (is it totally futile in
          > your experience?) would be wonderful to hear.
          >

          > Thanks very much. I'm very glad that I found out about this community at the
          > recent InfoCamp in Seattle. Gary Carlson's sessions were very popular (many
          > people asked to stay on through lunch to hear more about taxonomies from
          > him) and I appreciate him sharing this great resource. I look forward to
          > attending the Taxonomy Bootcamp next month and hope to meet some TaxoCoP
          > members in person there.
          >

          > Pam Green
          >
          > Information Management PM
          >
          > Microsoft IT SharePoint Experiences & Portals team

        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
            Pam,

            A couple of articles about folksonomy usage & combining folksonomies with taxonomies:

            The Taxofolk project looks esp. interesting...

            Cheers,

            Matt

            From: margaret.ostrander@...
            Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:16:33 +0000