RE: [TaxoCoP] Hello from Charles Cantrell

  • Leise, Fred
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010

      Best of luck on your project.

      Jean Aitchison’s “Thesaurus Construction and Use: A Practical Manual” is one of the classic texts on building thesauri and taxonomies. It’s a bit pricey, but a good reference text.

      Another good text with a specific organizational slant is Darin Stewart’s “Building Enterprise Taxonomies.”

      Heather Hedden’s “The Accidental Taxonomist” includes a chapter on software and provides a good overview of the entire taxonomy construction process.

      Fred Leise

      User Experience Manager-Taxonomy

      office: 312.357.7725

      cell: 773.764.2588

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
        Hi Charles

        If we're listing essential books on a taxonomist's bookshelf (and Fred has listed 3 of them!), may I add Patrick Lambe's practical & Genius-for-context-setting book: "Organising Knowledge: Taxonomies, Knowledge & Organisational Effectiveness" (Chandos)?

        Welcome to the group Charles!

        Kate

        ---
        Kate Simpson

        voice: +1 (416) 705-4859
        e-mail: kate@...
        skype: k8simpson

        Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or its attachments

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
          Thanks for the kind words, Kate!

          website: www.straitsknowledge.com

          Have you seen our new KM Planning Toolkit?