Hello from Charles Cantrell

  • Charles Cantrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010

      Hello to the members of TaxoCoP.

      I am an Automation Engineer with ExactTarget, a software company in the “permissions-based” email marketing space. While I have worked as a Technical Communicator, my technical training is in Computer Science, and I have worked as a Systems Analyst and Information Engineer. In my current position, I use both disciplines while managing ET’s content management system and automating a number of the company’s information processes.

      I recently began a project to develop a taxonomy (or taxonomies) that will be used in several ways:

      ·        Assist in selecting titles, labels, text and other linguistic markers in our UI (UX initiative).

      ·        Assist in translating categories between different, but related data stores.

      ·        Improve search queries in our content management system.

      ·        Provide a methodology for exposing applications in an online product catalog.

      ·        Assist in categorizing support cases to improve location and recovery.

      At this point, while I have a general understanding of “taxonomy”, I do not have any experience with tools used to create and maintain these. I also do not have a good theoretical background in how to build or develop taxonomies. I do have a pretty good handle on parsing bodies of text and programmatically manipulating text.

      My current interest is identifying tool sets and methodologies for building taxonomic structures. I am also interested in locating research papers on the theory of taxonomy. I have been looking at the Early & Associates website, and there appears to be good information there, but I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss this process with people who have been through this process before.

      Charles Cantrell

      ExactTarget

      Automation Engineer

      Office      |   317-524-2672

      Fax           |   317-524-2672

      Email       |   ccantrell@...

      LinkedIn  |   http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=36488848

    • Leise, Fred
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010

        Best of luck on your project.

        Jean Aitchison’s “Thesaurus Construction and Use: A Practical Manual” is one of the classic texts on building thesauri and taxonomies. It’s a bit pricey, but a good reference text.

        Another good text with a specific organizational slant is Darin Stewart’s “Building Enterprise Taxonomies.”

        Heather Hedden’s “The Accidental Taxonomist” includes a chapter on software and provides a good overview of the entire taxonomy construction process.

        Fred Leise

        User Experience Manager-Taxonomy

        office: 312.357.7725

        cell: 773.764.2588

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2010
          Hi Charles

          If we're listing essential books on a taxonomist's bookshelf (and Fred has listed 3 of them!), may I add Patrick Lambe's practical & Genius-for-context-setting book: "Organising Knowledge: Taxonomies, Knowledge & Organisational Effectiveness" (Chandos)?

          Welcome to the group Charles!

          Kate

          ---
          Kate Simpson

          voice: +1 (416) 705-4859
          e-mail: kate@...
          skype: k8simpson

          Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail or its attachments

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2010
            Thanks for the kind words, Kate!

            website: www.straitsknowledge.com

            Have you seen our new KM Planning Toolkit?