Metadata Strategy on Sharepoint Portal - Managing Multiple Functions
- Hi - a note of introduction, as I just joined. I've been part of
some of the Taxo calls, met Seth at several different search
conferences. Work at a 5,000+ employee company that has locations
around the globe. We are on a crash implementation of Sharepoint
Portal to replace our long-unsupported Microsoft Site Server
intranet. The intranet has been in place enterprise-wide for about
My question is a bit technical, to solve a problem of needing both
an enterprise level taxonomy as well as function-specific
taxonomies. The question is:
I am trying to solve how to have varying metadata sets for different
functional areas within one Sharepoint portal. We are using a
modified Dublin core metadata strategy, and need to show different
controlled vocabulary depending on the functional area.
1) We have site definitions for level 1, 2 and 3 of the portal
site and based on these site definitions we have already created the
areas and sub areas accordingly.
2) We have around 500-600 areas that are using these site
3) Based on these site definitions files, the document
libraries have been created in the respective area and the Meta data
properties and values are showing up as they have been defined in
the schema.xml under the doclib folder for the respective site
4) At this if we want some new value to be added to the
schema, we can surely modify the schema.xml and then the same would
show up on all the areas that use these site definitions.
5) We have 10-12 business units and each of these business
units now require different values to show up in the combo boxes
when a document is uploaded in the document library. If we update
the schema.xml all the business units will see the same values which
we don't want.
6) Is there some way to apply a document library schema
template to each of these business units now that they have been