Metadata Strategy on Sharepoint Portal - Managing Multiple Functions

  • dparad15
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hi - a note of introduction, as I just joined. I've been part of
      some of the Taxo calls, met Seth at several different search
      conferences. Work at a 5,000+ employee company that has locations
      around the globe. We are on a crash implementation of Sharepoint
      Portal to replace our long-unsupported Microsoft Site Server
      intranet. The intranet has been in place enterprise-wide for about
      six years.

      My question is a bit technical, to solve a problem of needing both
      an enterprise level taxonomy as well as function-specific
      taxonomies. The question is:

      I am trying to solve how to have varying metadata sets for different
      functional areas within one Sharepoint portal. We are using a
      modified Dublin core metadata strategy, and need to show different
      controlled vocabulary depending on the functional area.

      1) We have site definitions for level 1, 2 and 3 of the portal
      site and based on these site definitions we have already created the
      areas and sub areas accordingly.

      2) We have around 500-600 areas that are using these site
      definitions.

      3) Based on these site definitions files, the document
      libraries have been created in the respective area and the Meta data
      properties and values are showing up as they have been defined in
      the schema.xml under the doclib folder for the respective site
      definitions.

      4) At this if we want some new value to be added to the
      schema, we can surely modify the schema.xml and then the same would
      show up on all the areas that use these site definitions.

      5) We have 10-12 business units and each of these business
      units now require different values to show up in the combo boxes
      when a document is uploaded in the document library. If we update
      the schema.xml all the business units will see the same values which
      we don't want.

      6) Is there some way to apply a document library schema
      template to each of these business units now that they have been
      already created?

      Diane