Re: Best Practices for Maintaining Cities, States, Countries, etc. Metadata

  • Dave Goessling
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2010
      I'll second that - the ragged hierachy is the way to go. And remember you don't necessarily have to expose every facet to the user.

      Also, since you are building a travel app, think about adding relevant "related" or "alt" fields for things like ISO country and airport codes, state codes, etc., anything that is a well-accepted standard. You may not use them right away, but you'll have many more "app connection" options later if you do it at the outset.

      Dave G.

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "sfdalton" <susan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike:
      >
      > I have some experience with search requirements around geographies and I would strongly recommend against using pick lists. Geographies should be in a taxonomy so that you can leverage the hierarchical relationships. Two reasons: 1) People should be able to broaden or narrow their search from each level except the top (narrow only) and the leaf nodes - generally cities or towns (broaden only). And 2) there are far too many geographical redundancies that will create a negative user experience if not bounded by hierarchical parents (Geneva, NY or Geneva, Switzerland).
      >
      > Also, this is the good example of Ragged Hierarchies as some areas will have more levels than other area, but you will want to ensure that some dimensions (cities) are always at the same level. The need for a Ragged Hierarchy may influence your selection of a tool if you plan to use one for maintenance (some tools don't support this).
      >
      > I would agree with Matt's comment that it is a good idea to get a pre-existing taxonomy for geographies as there are a lot of "gotcha's" that are not immediately apparent.
      >
      > Susan
      >

      > --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "souppmp" <mcampbell@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am currently working on a travel related taxonomy. The question arose as to whether cities, states, countries, etc should be included in a taxonomy. Given the number of cities, states, countries etc. this would create a huge taxonomy thus significantly increasing the complexity of management. Since in the travel industry this is very important metadata I was wondering if an alternative would be just to create a pick list of this metadata. Thus as resources are tagging content then they could just select from this pick list which would allow the application of this metadata but would remove it per say from the management of the taxonomy.
      > >
      > > What is the practice of this type of metadata and its management?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance!
      > >
      > > Mike

    • laptopjockey
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2010
        As an alternative, use lat/long pairs and only the ones that show up in the content you are writing about. Give each pair a unique id and store them as name / value (pairs) as part of a 'Coordinates' facet. COmbine it with Ajax predictive typing so that when authors want to tag it they pick the name of the locatin and the coordinates come with.

        When you go to use maps (Google, Bing or ESRI for example) the content can be geolocated along with photos, blogs and user contributions. No need to load all locations, or store them as a hierarchy.

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "souppmp" <mcampbell@...> wrote:

        > I am currently working on a travel related taxonomy. The question arose as to whether cities, states, countries, etc should be included in a taxonomy. Given the number of cities, states, countries etc. this would create a huge taxonomy thus significantly increasing the complexity of management. Since in the travel industry this is very important metadata I was wondering if an alternative would be just to create a pick list of this metadata. Thus as resources are tagging content then they could just select from this pick list which would allow the application of this metadata but would remove it per say from the management of the taxonomy.
        >
        > What is the practice of this type of metadata and its management?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > Mike

      • Campbell, Michael
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 20, 2010

          Thanks everyone for your response.  I will definitely pass along to our Tech team.  I believe the group has answered my challenge!!

          Mike