Re: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomy Term question

  • John O'Gorman
    Message 1 of 10 , May 28 10:10 AM
      Hey Grant, thanks for the clarification on your objectives and your motivation. Much better sense of where you are headed and why.

      Patrick is correct: we had a running disagreement about the existence of an upper-level ontology that accommodates (identifies, classifies and presents) any piece of information. I can't speak for others, but my heretic status is partly in my own head, I suppose due in large part to the following statements:

      Any faceted classification exercise can start and end with a fixed and fairly small (19) number of facets. Intersection (usually via concatenation or agglutenation) of terms from two or more facets is the only technique allowed to create "sub-sets" of information (i.e. more specific references).

      Unlike some of the other taxonomists I have met, I believe that classification in the digital realm can be easy, inexpensive and like all taxonomies (faceted or otherwise) very effective.

      Note in my statements that I didn't use the word 'possibility'...it is being done. Patrick just hasn't seen the light, yet.

      John O'