Taxonomy survey results available; taxonomy book available

  • Heather Hedden
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2010
      Hello All,

      Back in December 2008 I solicited on this list participation among
      taxonomists in a survey about their work and background for a book that
      I was writing. I belatedly thank those who participated. As that was for
      only the first chapter, it was part of a long process that has finally
      come to fruition. I am pleased to announce the availability of /The
      Accidental Taxonomist/ for ordering. It will be out in print around May
      10, so for the limited time before then, the book is can be ordered at a
      pre-order discount from the publisher, Information Today Inc.
      http://books.infotoday.com/books/TheAccidentalTaxonomist.shtml

      The publisher has agreed to make a sample chapter available for viewing,
      and that chapter happens to be the first chapter with the taxonomist
      survey results. You can access that PDF either at the publisher site or
      at the new sub-site I have created for the book:
      http://www.accidental-taxonomist.com
      Also on that site are: the foreword written by Patrick Lambe (whom I
      first "met" through this group when his book was announced several years
      ago), the introduction, the table of contents, all the book's web site
      links, and the index. (Although I also do indexing on the side, I did
      not write my own book's index.)

      The Taxonomy Community of Practice group's posts were also the sources
      of other information I used in my book. Most notably was when there was
      the proposal for a new group slogan, when we selected ""Taxonomies?
      That's classified information..." to replace "Taxonomies - Not as
      Boring as You Think." I decided to take the various submissions of
      slogans, attributed to their authors, and use them as headings for the
      chapters.

      -- Heather

      --
      Heather Hedden
      Hedden Information Management
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2010
        Congratulations Heather on the publication of your book.  On behalf of all of us in the field, well done!  I will be supporting your efforts with a purchase.  Thanks for letting us know of the discount.

        Madi Solomon
        Pearson Plc

[...]

        Heather@Hedden. net
        www.Hedden-Informat ion.com

      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2010
          Heather,

          Congrats on your new book! Looks very interesting.

          One small issue I have is that Info Today do not tell you how much they will bill you for shipping (which may be significant to Australia) and an email to them asking for this information has not yielded a response.

          Cheers,

          Matt

            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2010
              Got the following answer on shipping rates from the Book Dept. at Information Today Inc.:

              ITI ships their international orders out using the U.S. Post Office.  We have found this is the most economical method although it does take 11-14 days depending on location.  In the case of your book and the audience you are marketing to, we can offer our standard $7.95 as a foreign shipping cost for anyone who requests your book.  Ordering additional copies would be $7.95 for the first book and $4.95 for each additional copy.

              This information will be made available on the ITI web site shortly.

              Regards,