Re: [TaxoCoP] Validity Check

  • Kelly Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2010
      John,

      What you are describing is a faceted approach, which is very useful for browsing structures and search refinement.  While Ranganathan discovered a method to describe a wide range of books, his categories do not map perfectly onto the modern world.   You have to be particular about the characteristics that are useful to your users

      Think Amazon: object is classified by medium (book, movie, music) with subtype mediums (dvd, bluray, cd, digital, etc), by genre,(books = fiction, non fiction, sci fi ) again with subgenres,  by audience (generally age groups), by author/muscian/director. By combining components, you can reduce a very large group of data to managable parts.
      I have seen increasing numbers of E-commerce and large content websites using this or similar approaches.

      However, i think that the genetics analogy doesn't really fit. I agree with Nick that genetic permutations are more narrow and acutally they are more firmly heirarchical than many other systems.  You would need to go a bit further to see a multi-hierarchical approach.  For a authoritative look at genetic heiraries -- look at MeSH: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html. They classify by organism and cross reference to diseases. Some of the diseases/disorders belong to multiple heirarchies:

      However, it is still more hierarchical than what you seem to be describing.

      Kelly Green