RE: [TaxoCoP] QUESTION: Legal KM System?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hi Olga,

      I used to build case management systems for law firms.  Perhaps you can describe more of what the attorneys are trying to accomplish.  I would suggest that the technology is less important than the processes that you are enabling.

      Earley & Associates, Inc

      781-444-0287

      781-820-8080 cell

      Next taxo conference call October 5th, 2 PM EDT
      "Auto Categorization and Automatic Taxonomy Generation"
      Registration and agenda at www.earley.com/events.htm

      Taxonomy Community of Practice

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
        Seth,

        That's what the need is, a case management system. I'm trying to put
        together a plan they can wrap their heads around. This is becoming a
        challenge.

        -Olga

        --
        Olga Howard
        ------------------------------------
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2005
          I think you want to put together something conceptual that they can
          understand on a business level. There are a number of members of the list
          who are from law firms - perhaps they might share what they are using for
          tools. Since we are a little bit off topic, it might be best to continue
          this off line. You can send me a note at seth@...

          But for the sake of people who might be interested in this...

          A number of years ago I spoke at a conference called "the Future of the
          Legal Profession" which talked about integrating all of the functions of a
          law firm around various role based content and document management systems,
          along with an expertise directory and workflow processes for routing
          information to people for vetting, approval, posting, notification, etc.

          I had created something we called the "Legal Desktop Portal" which was a
          suite of applications. At the time (this is around 1998 or 1999 as I
          recall - wow that sounds like a long time ago) we created the portal in
          Lotus Notes, which at the time was one of the best tools for the
          application. (Though I created the integrated concept and role based UI,
          another firm had created some of the underlying applications).

          My company also did the development work for a company called Legal
          Information Technology (LIT). They also developed and marketed case
          management applications that our developers wrote. We also created a system
          for a law firm in Philadelphia.

          We don't do development work in that area anymore (most of these were custom
          systems) and there are many tools out there. It has been a few years since
          we have done that kind of work so I am not in the market right now. There
          are a number of things that you will want to consider as you do some
          research.

          What is the nature of the problem? (What are people complaining about?)
          What processes around case management are you trying to support?
          What works and what does not work?
          What tools are they currently using to manage case information?
          What are similar firms using?
          What are the needs of other types of users? (Admin versus paralegal, outside
          attorneys that you are collaborating with, client in house legal
          departments, etc.)
          What is the primary focus of the practice? Criminal law, corporate law,
          litigation, personal injury, real estate focus, etc will have very different
          needs.

          And of course you will need to create your systems for classification,
          search, navigation, overall taxonomy and facets and be sure that whatever
          you put into place can accommodate your design.

          Evaluating and purchasing packaged applications is a very challenging
          process. It is easy to get caught up in a vendor's pitch and get
          sidetracked from what is really important to the firm. Start with the
          problems that people are experiencing.

          Create user scenarios and functions before you look at much software - then
          have vendors demo according to your script. It is tempting to let them
          suggest new ways of doing business that their tools support but that rarely
          works well. You may change processes but design new ones and then have the
          tool support these rather than the other way around.

          You might want to bring in an experienced facilitator to help develop the
          vision of a solution with the senior partners of the firm.

          --
          Olga Howard
        • Olga Howard

            --