Re: [TaxoCoP] QUESTION: Legal KM System?

  • Olga Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2005
      Thanks for the tip. :)

      -Olga

      On 9/26/05, dboom@... <dboom@...> wrote:

      Dear Olga:

      I have implemented such a system a few years ago based upon Stellent as content repository and Sharepoint as workflow tool.

      Daan Boom

      Olga Howard <olga.howard@...>
      Sent by: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

      27/09/2005 03:17 AM

      Please respond to
      TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

      TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject
      [TaxoCoP] QUESTION: Legal KM System?

      All,

      I'm starting an intranet project in which the Legal department needs a Knowledge Management (or Peer to Peer workflow) solution. I'm interested if anyone has integrated this kind of app and what software was used.

      Thanks for your help.

      -Olga

      --
      Olga Howard
      ------------------------------------

      olga.howard@...

      Book publishing company Self publishing company Publishing companies
      Self publishing book company Self publishing company book Christian publishing company

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2005
        Hi Olga,

        I used to build case management systems for law firms.  Perhaps you can describe more of what the attorneys are trying to accomplish.  I would suggest that the technology is less important than the processes that you are enabling.

        Earley & Associates, Inc

        781-444-0287

        781-820-8080 cell

        Next taxo conference call October 5th, 2 PM EDT
        "Auto Categorization and Automatic Taxonomy Generation"
        Registration and agenda at www.earley.com/events.htm

        Taxonomy Community of Practice

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2005
          Seth,

          That's what the need is, a case management system. I'm trying to put
          together a plan they can wrap their heads around. This is becoming a
          challenge.

          -Olga

          --
          Olga Howard
          ------------------------------------
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2005
            I think you want to put together something conceptual that they can
            understand on a business level. There are a number of members of the list
            who are from law firms - perhaps they might share what they are using for
            tools. Since we are a little bit off topic, it might be best to continue
            this off line. You can send me a note at seth@...

            But for the sake of people who might be interested in this...

            A number of years ago I spoke at a conference called "the Future of the
            Legal Profession" which talked about integrating all of the functions of a
            law firm around various role based content and document management systems,
            along with an expertise directory and workflow processes for routing
            information to people for vetting, approval, posting, notification, etc.

            I had created something we called the "Legal Desktop Portal" which was a
            suite of applications. At the time (this is around 1998 or 1999 as I
            recall - wow that sounds like a long time ago) we created the portal in
            Lotus Notes, which at the time was one of the best tools for the
            application. (Though I created the integrated concept and role based UI,
            another firm had created some of the underlying applications).

            My company also did the development work for a company called Legal
            Information Technology (LIT). They also developed and marketed case
            management applications that our developers wrote. We also created a system
            for a law firm in Philadelphia.

            We don't do development work in that area anymore (most of these were custom
            systems) and there are many tools out there. It has been a few years since
            we have done that kind of work so I am not in the market right now. There
            are a number of things that you will want to consider as you do some
            research.

            What is the nature of the problem? (What are people complaining about?)
            What processes around case management are you trying to support?
            What works and what does not work?
            What tools are they currently using to manage case information?
            What are similar firms using?
            What are the needs of other types of users? (Admin versus paralegal, outside
            attorneys that you are collaborating with, client in house legal
            departments, etc.)
            What is the primary focus of the practice? Criminal law, corporate law,
            litigation, personal injury, real estate focus, etc will have very different
            needs.

            And of course you will need to create your systems for classification,
            search, navigation, overall taxonomy and facets and be sure that whatever
            you put into place can accommodate your design.

            Evaluating and purchasing packaged applications is a very challenging
            process. It is easy to get caught up in a vendor's pitch and get
            sidetracked from what is really important to the firm. Start with the
            problems that people are experiencing.

            Create user scenarios and functions before you look at much software - then
            have vendors demo according to your script. It is tempting to let them
            suggest new ways of doing business that their tools support but that rarely
            works well. You may change processes but design new ones and then have the
            tool support these rather than the other way around.

            You might want to bring in an experienced facilitator to help develop the
            vision of a solution with the senior partners of the firm.

            --
            Olga Howard
          • Olga Howard

              --