Re: [TaxoCoP] word/phrase extracting/sorting tools

  • Christine Connors
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2009
    Heather -

    I'm just getting caught up on some mail folders, sorry for the delay!  Have you looked at the tools available from SIL?  <http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?by=all&name=>

    Best,
    Christine

    From: Heather Hedden <heather@...>
    To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Wed, November 11, 2009 9:34:22 AM
    Subject: [TaxoCoP] word/phrase extracting/sorting tools

    Does anyone have recommendations for simple/inexpensive tools that a taxonomist could use to automatically gather words and phrases from content and sort or count them (then to generate histograms, for example), as a method to gather candidate terms from text when building a taxonomy? A colleague mentioned Word List from MechanicWords http://www.mechanicwords.com/ but I'd like to know of others like it.  This would be an automated supplement to a content audit.  Also, is this something simple enough to code that any in-house software developers in a large enterprise (with time resources) might be able to code for?

    Thanks.

    -- Heather

    --
    Heather Hedden
    Hedden Information Management

  • Jordan Cassel
    Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2009

      On a related note, Calais has a Beta program (http://viewer.opencalais.com/) which allows you to input text and it will identify 'entities' present and categorize them according to a taxonomy. Check out the output in the left rail.  This is intended to be a step towards the semantic Web.  I've been playing with it a little bit trying to figure out if I can operationalize it here where we have a lot of unstructured text, in order to improve search, navigation, and help power related content.

      -Jordan

      Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2009
        Jordan,

        This may be of interest: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/australian_museum_uses_open_calais.php - Seb Chan is a pretty cutting-edge guy.