Using a taxonomy to organize customer inquiries

  • Grant Slade
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      I was wondering if anyone knows of any examples of, or literature about, this subject.  Our company is trying to get a handle on all of the questions pouring into our website.

      Grant
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2009
        I suppose the question is what the purpose of organizing the inquiries is.

        There is a section of my book Organising Knowledge on using taxonomies to engage with customers, though there isn't a great deal of detail on inquiry handling. The two main approaches I have seen are:

        (a) emerging ground up from inquiries to FAQs, from FAQs to organising topics - these "topics" form a simple taxonomy that can be mapped to an internal inquiry routing taxonomy - eg for topic A, route to department Z. This approach is more for organizing the followup actions around inquiries.

        (b) Using customer analysis to create a typology of customer personas and the inquiries are allocated to particular personas within the typology - eg this inquiry comes from the Tech Savvy Gen Y-er, and we use their inquiries to deepen our knowledge of their current concerns. This approach is more for building customer intelligence eg to inform service or website redesign.

        I hope that helps

        website: www.straitsknowledge.com

        Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
        Organisation Culture Cards?