Re: [TaxoCoP] Survey on the Future of Taxonomy Work

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
      Sorry folks, Depending on your email program, the link I gave yesterday might be broken. Here it is again:

      (thanks Gail)

      Best

      Patrick

      Patrick Lambe

      website: www.straitsknowledge.com

      Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
      Organisation Culture Cards?

      On Aug 31, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Patrick Lambe wrote:

      Hi folks

      Almost 90 people have replied to my Trends in Taxonomy work survey so far, many thanks!

      The kind folks at Info Today have agreed to extend a $200 discount to survey respondents  for Taxonomy Bootcamp 2009 (where I'll be reporting the results of the study) - the link is at the end of the survey. You can reach the survey at http://tinyurl. com/taxonomywork

      For those of you who have completed the survey but did not leave your email address, if you would like to take advantage of this discount code, drop me an email offline, and I'll send you the link directly (honour code applies).

      Best wishes and thanks

      Patrick

      Patrick Lambe

      website: www.straitsknowledg e.com

      Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
      Organisation Culture Cards?

    • Heather Hedden
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hi Patrick,

        This survey is a great idea. I have completed it, and I look forward to hearing your results.
        When do you plan to close the survey and begin analyzing the results? I'd love to cite some of your conclusions in my forthcoming book, although my manuscript submission deadline is approaching in mid-October. (I might be able to add something in after that.)

        -- Heather

        Heather Hedden
        Hedden Information Management
        www.hedden-information.com

        Tel. 978-371-0822
        Heather@...

        On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Patrick Lambe <plambe@...> wrote:

        Hi folks

        I am conducting a survey on the present and future of taxonomy work and the needs of taxonomy professionals. I'll be reporting the results at Taxonomy Bootcamp in San Jose this coming November, and participants in the survey will also get a report of the results (which will include additional research beyond the survey).

        For those of you who believe that taxonomies still have a future, this might ! make interesting reading, and for those of you who believe a la Theresa Regli that "taxonomies are dead", we'd like to hear from you on why!

        You can take the survey at http://tinyurl.com/taxonomywork

        Many thanks in advance!

        Best wishes

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
          Hey Heather

          I'll probably start analysing third or fourth week of October as it looks now. But if you have specific questions before that (say in the first half of October assuming the number of respondents has reached around the 200 mark) feel free to drop me a note offlist and I can see what I can draw out as a sneak preview.

          ------------ --------- --------- --------- ----

          Heather@Hedden. net

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
            Thanks, Patrick.
            I'm not sure what specific questions I might have, as I am interested in all your conclusions. I might be able to wait.

            See you in November.

            -- Heather

            On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Patrick Lambe <plambe@...>&nb! sp;wrote:

            Hi folks

            I am conducting a survey on the present and future of taxonomy work and the needs of taxonomy professionals. I'll be reporting the results at Taxonomy Bootcamp in San Jose this coming November, and participants in the survey will also get a ! report of the results (which will include additional research beyond the survey).

            For those of you who believe that taxonomies still have a future, this might ! make interesting reading, and for those of you who believe a la Theresa Regli that "taxonomies are dead", we'd like to hear from you on why!

            You can ! take the survey at http://tinyurl.com/taxonomywork

            Many thanks in advance!

            Best wishes
            Patrick

            Patrick Lambe
            < div style="line-height: 1.22em; ">
            website: www.straitsknowledge.com

            Have you seen our KM Method Cards or
            Organisation Culture Cards?

          • Olga Howard
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
              Hi All,

              Has anyone encountered a really good Science & Technology Taxonomy out
              there?

              Thanks for your help. :)

              -Olga
            • Matt Moore
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
                Olga,

                For who trying to do what?

                For research scientists to store & locate research papers in their discipline?
                For manufacturers to manage technology products?
                For governments to manage patents?

                Cheers,

                Matt

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009
                  There's the NASA taxonomy which is open access and often used as a benchmark for the skillful use of facets.

                  The National Center for Educational Statistics has a Classification of Instructional Programs to collect detailed statistics on post secondary education which has a lot of detail on science and technology fields http://nces.ed.gov/Pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2002165

                  CENDI has a guide to science-related taxonomies across US Federal agencies  http://www.cendi.gov/projects/termlocator.html

                  The topical structure of the www.science.gov website os worth a look

                  The Australia New Zealand Standard Research Classification is probably the most innovative in terms of exploiting the latest theory of the classification of science

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2009

                    That’s a tough question because the fields of science and technology are so broad and deep.  Life Sciences taxonomies such as MeSH contain hundreds of thousands of terms for example.  Terminology can be extremely esoteric and be targeted at sub specialties or can be very broad  and high level for the layperson.

                    As is always the challenge in developing taxonomies, appropriate terminology depends on the depth of knowledge of specific audiences, the types of tasks and processes they are engaged in and the content that needs to be accessed.

                    If you can describe more of these details, I am sure some of the members of the list can point you to more appropriate resources.

                    President
                    _____________________________

                    EARLEY & ASSOCIATES, Inc.
                    Cell: 781-820-8080

                    Office: 781-444-0287
                    Email: seth@...
                    Web:
                    www.earley.com

                    Follow me on Twitter: sethearley

                    I will be speaking at the Henry Stewart Digital Asset Management Conference

                    Chicago www.damusers.com October 29th

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2009
                      Hi Olga,
                      Dow Jones provides the Taxonomy Warehouse (part of the intellectual property they acquired when they bought Synaptica)
                      Look at http://www.taxonomywarehouse.com/resultsbycat_include.asp?vCatUID=40&catcode=080000
                      for general scitech knowledge organization systems.
                      Also, for medicine you may want to look at UMLS (many medical vocabs mapped to each other)....wow!
                      Careful, more concepts must be disambiguated in a cross-disciplinary scitech taxonomy. The more disciplines and concepts represented the more disambiguation is needed.
                      Jan Herd
                      Business Reference Librarian
                      Science, Technology & Business Division
                      The Library of Congress