Navigation taxonomies

  • terrance1951
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
      I want to use a navigation taxonomy to support navigation for a new product we are working on. Can anyone suggest standards documents or other references that I can point the engineers to that will help them understand how navigation taxonomies are built and used at the engineering level?

      Terry Smith
      Healthwise, Inc.
    • tealcomputing
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hi Terry,

        Would the Navigation chapter in "Research Based Usability Guidelines" be useful, or did you need something more specific to your audience?
        http://usability.gov/pdfs/chapter7.pdf

        Hope this helps,
        Lydia

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "terrance1951" <tsmith@...> wrote:

        > I want to use a navigation taxonomy to support navigation for a new product we are working on. Can anyone suggest standards documents or other references that I can point the engineers to that will help them understand how navigation taxonomies are built and used at the engineering level?
        >
        > Terry Smith
        > Healthwise, Inc.

      • Terry Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2009

          That is a well done resource on usability. Thanks for the link.

          What I intend to do is drive global navigation from a taxonomy. If you look at the example 7:5 the left hand panel would be populated from a taxonomy. I need a system that provides for flexibility to change the menu (either label names or actual items on the menu) without needing to employ engineering resources, which would be the case if the menu was generated from code. I believe this method is used widely by retail sites so they can quickly change their navigation to reflect changes in their stock, items on special, etc.

          I have put together the functional specifications for this and when I show it to the engineers I get a somewhat blank look and the question of how to turn the spec into code of the type they understand.

          Terry

          Would the Navigation chapter in "Research Based Usability Guidelines" be useful, or did you need something more specific to your audience?
          http://usability.gov/pdfs/chapter7.pdf

          Hope this helps,
          Lydia

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "terrance1951" <tsmith@...> wrote:

          > I want to use a navigation taxonomy to support navigation for a new
          product we are working on. Can anyone suggest standards documents or other references that I can point the engineers to that will help them understand how navigation taxonomies are built and used at the engineering level?

          > Terry Smith
          > Healthwise, Inc.

        • Lydia Bauer
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
            Well, it depends, are you building a home-grown system or configuring a CMS?
            In general, if they can create the navigation to have fields like:
            -unique identifier
            -field label
            -parent Id
            -active/inactive flag

            and provide you access to edit the field label, that may meet your needs.  Sometimes talking in database terms helps if functional terms ("the system should...") draw blanks.

            Good luck,
            Lydia

            Would the Navigation chapter in "Research Based Usability Guidelines" be useful, or did you need something more specific to your audience?
            http://usability. gov/pdfs/ chapter7. pdf

            Hope this helps,
            Lydia

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups .com, "terrance1951" <tsmith@...> wrote:

            > I want to use a navigation taxonomy to support navigation for a new product we are working on. Can anyone suggest standards documents or other references that I can point the engineers to that will help them understand how navigation taxonomies are built and used at the engineering level?
            >
            > Terry Smith
            > Healthwise, Inc.

          • terrance1951
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2009
              Yes, the database model is the one I have been pursuing. I will also need fields to identify the page to display and, because the navigation will branch, a field to show hierarchy.

              I think this pretty well covers it, but I keep feeling like I am re-inventing the wheel-something I prefer not to do.

              Thanks for the comments.

              Terry Smith