Re: Personal Knowledge Management / Taxonomy

  • David Eddy
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
      Bill -

      > The problem is I have to remember what I have in the first place.
      > Since I cannot remember what the folders and documents contain, I
      > can't even search full-text very effectively. I want some sort of
      > reminder so I know where to start searching. To me, a taxonomy is this
      > sort of reminder.

      I wish I knew how to solve this challenge.

      Small example... I use two computers & TRY to keep the folders
      synchronized. Mostly it works.

      But then I noticed one machine had "Individuals" while the other
      was "People." So I changed the "People" to "Individuals" whereupon I
      had difficulty finding "Individuals" on the changed machine.

      I think I was just accustomed to looking "high" for "Individuals" on one
      machine & "low" for "People" on the other.

      I believe Susan Dumais at MSFT was involved with the "Vocabulary Problem"
      research which found you had at best a 20% chance of guessing the word
      someone else chose... e.g. stop, quit, finish, end, exit...

      Obviously on a personal level this is a challenge that is going to get MUCH worse.

      - David