Re: [TaxoCoP] Personal Knowledge Management / Taxonomy

  • Jay Maechtlen
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2009
      marijane white wrote:
      > This discussion brings to mind Microsoft Research's "Stuff I've Seen"
      > project, and the Keeping Found Things Found project at the UW iSchool.
      >
      > http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/sis.aspx
      > http://kftf.ischool.washington.edu/index.htm
      >
      > if you search the MSR site for "Stuff I've Seen" or "PHLAT" (a file
      > tagging tool that was the successor to SIS), you'll find lots of research
      > articles on the subject.

      looks very promising- thanks.

      Jay
    • David Eddy
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        Bill -

        > The problem is I have to remember what I have in the first place.
        > Since I cannot remember what the folders and documents contain, I
        > can't even search full-text very effectively. I want some sort of
        > reminder so I know where to start searching. To me, a taxonomy is this
        > sort of reminder.

        I wish I knew how to solve this challenge.

        Small example... I use two computers & TRY to keep the folders
        synchronized. Mostly it works.

        But then I noticed one machine had "Individuals" while the other
        was "People." So I changed the "People" to "Individuals" whereupon I
        had difficulty finding "Individuals" on the changed machine.

        I think I was just accustomed to looking "high" for "Individuals" on one
        machine & "low" for "People" on the other.

        I believe Susan Dumais at MSFT was involved with the "Vocabulary Problem"
        research which found you had at best a 20% chance of guessing the word
        someone else chose... e.g. stop, quit, finish, end, exit...

        Obviously on a personal level this is a challenge that is going to get MUCH worse.

        - David