Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: new Taxonomy Community of Practice motto desperately needed....

  • michele.meador@wachovia.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 14, 2009
      That's funny. I've never really thought about how I sound to others  when I say it, but I've always referred to it as "Taxo Co-op" (for cooperative). It wasn't until fairly recently that I abashedly learned 'CoP' was really 'C.o.P.' which is really 'Community of Practice', but co-op has still stuck with me anyway.  Maybe it just needs an extra 'o' ...

      Michele Meador
      InfoSource Administrator, Knowledge Architecture Team
      Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia)
      Phone: 678.580.1695

      "seth_earley" <seth@...>
      Sent by: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

      01/15/2009 12:38 AM

      Please respond to
      TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

      TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
      cc
      Subject
      [TaxoCoP] Re: new Taxonomy Community of Practice motto desperately         needed....

      Sorry, less, I admit it, than inspiring ... sigh...  :-(

      How can we rally the community around urgent, pressing, world
      changing taxonomy issues with such a self deprecating slogan?

      ("We're really not that bad...  really...  give us a try... You won't
      hate it... that much... " it says. )

      How about:

      "Remember: Use Your Taxonomy Powers for Good Not Evil"

      -or-

      "So Many Taxonomies, So Little Time"

      -or-

      "I heart taxonomies"

      -or-

      "Who Needs a Taxonomy - I Have Google"

      You know, I was waiting to be bagged on that for the past few years
      and you are the first to comment.

      I would suggest that a bigger issue is the correct way to
      say "TaxoCoP" .  I was looking for something short, easy to remember,
      not too arduous to type.  But I hear people refer to the "taxocop"
      (as though it were some branch of law enforcement for errant
      categorizers) as opposed to the "Taxo C.o.P." - short for "Community
      of Practice".

      Someone even blogged once that a Community of Practice should not
      refer to themselves as a "community of practice"  but simply state
      what they are about.  I even had someone suggest that another group I
      co-founded should change it's name from "ONA-CoP" to "ONA-Prac" since
      the former was a "dreadful name"...  (She won).

      So there you have it - dreadful and uninspiring.  Yes, I have set the
      bar low and am open to all suggestions.  Someone will need to devise
      a democratic process for this - perhaps a survey?  Caucus?
      Convention?

      Then we can go forth and make the world a safer place for
      taxonomies.

      Seth
      (Uninspired Yet Illustrious Founder of TaxoCoP)

      --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "jstudiman" <jstudim@...> wrote:

      > After the flights of fancy over new names for taxonomists fuelled
      by
      > tears and gnashing of teeth over premature claims of taxonomy
      death,
      > let us apply our collective imaginations to a new motto for this
      > group!  Has there ever been a less inspiring or more sleep inducing
      > introduction to taxonomies than:
      >
      > "Taxonomies: not as boring as you think..."???????
      >
      > Is that truly the best motto our illustrious founders could come up
      > with !!!  ;)
      >
      > Let us summon our collective (and multi-faceted) powers for good,
      and
      > dash the crashing unstructured waves of ignorance against the rock
      of
      > hierarchy and classification!!!
      >
      > Jon Studiman
      > Senior Records and Information Analyst, Taxonomy
      > City of Toronto

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:TaxoCoP-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:TaxoCoP-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 2, 2009
        Actually, that sense of FOD does have some faint taxonomy resonances!!

        website: www.straitsknowledge.com

        Have you seen our KM Method Cards?   http://www.straitsknowledge.com/store/

        On Feb 3, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Jay Maechtlen wrote:

        Gabriel Tanase wrote:
        > This one gets my vote.
        > Thanks, Patrick!
        >
        > 2009/1/30 Patrick Lambe <plambe@straitsknowl edge.com
        > <mailto:plambe@straitsknowl edge.com>>
        >
        > Taxonomies are not just about finding, they also support discovery,
        > and they organise stuff (not just information content, they can also
        > organise work and organise thinking).
        >
        > I'm into simplicity, so I'd suggest "Taxonomies: Find, Organise,
        > Discover"

        Coming late to this: in some other fields, "FOD" is not desirable...
        (think Foreign Object Damage)

        aside from that, sounds good.

        I'll admit, several of the others would make great bumper stickers,
        license plate frames, coffee mugs, etc.

        Regards
        Jay