Re: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomy on Children's Issues

  • Olga Howard
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2005
      This is wonderful thank you. It may be just what I needed! :)

      -Olga

      On 8/18/05, Susan Hensley <metta_4@...> wrote:
      Hi Olga,

      There is a very extensive existing thesaurus on many
      of these topics that your tax dollars (if you're an
      American) have already created: it's called the ERIC
      database.

      http://www.eric.ed.gov/

      Here's the direct link for the thesaurus:

      http://tinyurl.com/dtx7p

      It doesn't just cover education but all topics that
      affect youth and education, e.g. drug and physical
      abuse, alcoholism, etc. It should provide a good
      starting point for you.

      Susan

      --- Olga Howard <olga.howard@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >  I'm working on a taxonomy for a site dealing with
      > children's issues -
      > children at risk and their families.
      >  My initial thoughts were to pull search logs to see
      > what terms people were
      > querying to find patterns of the kind of information
      > they are looking for.
      > But there's also the idea of beginning with topics,
      > Child Welfare, Health,
      > Education, etc.
      >  Have any of you worked on a taxonomy with this kind
      > of content?
      >  Thank you for your time and your thoughts!
      >  Regards,
      > -Olga

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Olga Howard
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2005
        Thank you so much. I started looking at possible sites but your thoughts on the process of whittling them down will be very helpful.

        -Olga

        On 8/18/05, Donna Slawsky <donnaslawsky@...> wrote:
        Olga,

        I haven't worked with this topic, but I would try
        going to child welfare agency web sites -- government
        and private to get an overview of the main topics in
        this area first.  After you have a list of possible
        top level terms, you can whittle it down to those you
        need to fit your population of users.

        Good luck with the project.

        Donna Slawsky
        Manager, Indexing and Taxonomy
        Scholastic Online Digital Archive

        --- Olga Howard <olga.howard@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >  I'm working on a taxonomy for a site dealing with
        > children's issues -
        > children at risk and their families.
        >  My initial thoughts were to pull search logs to see
        > what terms people were
        > querying to find patterns of the kind of information
        > they are looking for.
        > But there's also the idea of beginning with topics,
        > Child Welfare, Health,
        > Education, etc.
        >  Have any of you worked on a taxonomy with this kind
        > of content?
        >  Thank you for your time and your thoughts!
        >  Regards,
        > -Olga

      • craighubleyca
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Olga Howard <olga.howard@g...> wrote:
          > All,
          > I'm working on a taxonomy for a site dealing with children's issues -
          > children at risk and their families.
          > My initial thoughts were to pull search logs to see what terms
          people were
          > querying to find patterns of the kind of information they are
          looking for.
          > But there's also the idea of beginning with topics, Child Welfare,
          Health,
          > Education, etc.

          I would suggest starting with the goals, i.e. health, well-being,
          education, as opposed to the diagnostic taxonomy of all the problems
          that one gets into, that put these things "at risk".

          I'd suggest you start here for early childhood stuff
          http://investinkids.ca

          > Have any of you worked on a taxonomy with this kind of content?

          Yes, social policy is a pretty well travelled area. I would suggest
          also you contact hayley@..., who used to be the Green Party of
          Canada's social justice and women's issues critic, and also a manager
          of their wiki lp.greenparty.ca - she could route you to more current
          references.

          > Thank you for your time and your thoughts!
          > Regards,
          > -Olga
        • Olga Howard
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
            Thanks so much!

            We've started with the basics as you've suggested above, health, well-being, education, etc. But I'd like to follow up with your contacts and visit the kids site to make sure we haven't missed anything critical.

            Best,
            -Olga