Introduction:

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
      Who are you:
      My name is Sean and I work for a local search content provider where
      one of my responsibilities is our local search taxonomy.

      Current Challenges:
      Our taxonomy has several different functions and it is difficult to
      serve different masters. We convert data provided by clients or
      yellow page data into structured searchable terms with assigned
      metadata. How the data gets delivered and the data itself is so
      divergent that it is impossible to optimize the process for each type.

      One of my highlights so far working on this project has been
      developing a new taxonomy design to handle this issue and other issues
      I have encountered along the way. Our current taxonomy is a POS (over
      complicated database design and not enough functionality) so it was
      not hard to improve upon it but it has been a challenge trying to plan
      for the future. My goal is to make this the best local search
      taxonomy out there and I think I am moving in the right direction.

      I look forward to becoming acquainted with this group and I hope that
      I can learn from and contribute to it.

      Sean
    • Jay Maechtlen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2008
        Sean wrote:
        > Who are you:
        > My name is Sean and I work for a local search content provider where
        > one of my responsibilities is our local search taxonomy.
        >
        > Current Challenges:
        > Our taxonomy has several different functions and it is difficult to
        > serve different masters. We convert data provided by clients or
        > yellow page data into structured searchable terms with assigned
        > metadata. How the data gets delivered and the data itself is so
        > divergent that it is impossible to optimize the process for each type.
        >
        > One of my highlights so far working on this project has been
        > developing a new taxonomy design to handle this issue and other issues
        > I have encountered along the way. Our current taxonomy is a POS (over
        > complicated database design and not enough functionality) so it was
        > not hard to improve upon it but it has been a challenge trying to plan
        > for the future. My goal is to make this the best local search
        > taxonomy out there and I think I am moving in the right direction.
        >
        > I look forward to becoming acquainted with this group and I hope that
        > I can learn from and contribute to it.
        >
        > Sean

        local to where?
        Jay
      • seanpaxman@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
          local to where?

          Everywhere in the United States. We gather information on every
          business in the United States; address, phone, brands, services, and
          assign them into categories (barbers, grocery stores, accounting
          firms, etc.).
        • Ed Jennings

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2008
              --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Ed Jennings <ed@...> wrote:

              > Local is typically defined as a categoriazation system such as the
              Yellow Pages category system. This is opposed to SIC codes, NAICS, or
              UNSPSC.

              We have a categorization system that I work with that maps YP
              headings, SIC, NAICS, etc. We also have a local search taxonomy that
              structures searchable keywords for local search engines.
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 12, 2008
                Has anybody worked with Conceptsearching tools built for taxonomy term suggestion, auto classification and taxonomy administration on a Sharepoint environment? What has been your experience?

                Patrick

                Patrick Lambe

                website: www.straitsknowledge.com

                Have you seen our KM Method Cards?   http://www.straitsknowledge.com/store/