QUESTION : Extensible enterprise image tagging software?

  • monica fulvio
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
      Hi all,

      I'm looking for image tagging software for my company that will:
      * let us add new metadata fields
      * centrally define the controlled lists for those fields
      * and- ideally- tag batches of images

      Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Monica Fulvio
    • David Riecks
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2008
        At 01:29 PM 11/4/2008, monica fulvio wrote:
           I'm looking for image tagging software for my company that will:
        * let us add new metadata fields
        * centrally define the controlled lists for those fields
        * and- ideally- tag batches of images

        Monica:

        If you are looking for an application that can also embed those "tags" into the images, within the IPTC Keywords field there are no applications I'm aware of that meet all of those requirements.

        There may be features within some of the enterprise systems that may allow some of what you desire, but the only ones I can think of that "might" have the majority of the features you listed are Media Beacon ( http://www.mediabeacon.com/) and ADAM (http://www.adam.be).

        There are a number of low cost applications, such as Photo Mechanic ( http://www.camerabits.com/), BreezeBrowser ( http://www.breezesys.com/), and Adobe Lightroom and even Bridge that can house a "keyword catalog" (such as the one I have available at http://controlledvocabulary.com/products/) -- or one of your own making -- and allow you to add keywords to images in a systematic fashion.  Some of these have features, such as the Structured Keywords Catalog within Photo Mechanic, that would even allow you to use them as a stand alone application to generate strings of comma separated keywords that you could then cut and paste into your own database.

        Creating custom fields within some databases is not that difficult. You can add custom fields to XMP dialogs in Adobe Photoshop and Bridge for example, as well as FotoStation ( http://www.fotoware.com/). You can add custom fields to DAM systems like Canto Cumulus ( http://www.canto.com/) or Extensis Portfolio ( http://www.extensis.com/)  as well, and even import files with embedded custom fields as well.

        However, exporting metadata from those databases and putting those custom fields within the original image is not easy nor does it lead to "easy" interoperability with other applications.

        If you are willing to work with applications that use standardized metadata schema for images, such as IPTC ( http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/iptc_naa.html) then you will find a wealth of applications that can be used. Some I have listed at http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/programs.html, as well as other applications that have keyword generating features (at the bottom of http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/metalogging/metalog_resources.html under "programs").

        Depending on what you are trying to do, and which industry you are within, you might also want to check out what's in store within the next iteration of the IPTC Core schema, which was released this past June.  You will find a link to a PDF as the second "news" item on the http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/whatsnew.html page.

        If you can give more specifics about what you need after looking at some of the links above, I'd be happy to help guide you to some applications that might help.

        David

        --
        David Riecks  (that's "i" before "e", but the "e" is silent)
        Need Keywords for your database? Get the Controlled Vocabulary Solution