Taxonomists in NYC

  • scottwb_98
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2008
      Hello all,
      I am looking for taxonomists to join our team in NY.

      This project is for an exciting startup business developing a Web 2.0
      site that will leverage technology from the Information Science and
      Information Architecture fields combined with Natural Language
      Processing. The product being developed is a semantic search engine
      focused on a rapidly expanding market.

      The main task in the second phase of this project will be to maintain
      and expand two hierarchical taxonomies in business management.

      The core task involves refining and expanding a meaningful faceted
      hierarchical structure that has already been developed. There may
      also be a need to create definitions that would be clear to a general
      audience for various aspects of the data in the hierarchies.

      These two taxonomies are used by a subject matter expert and by a
      computer program to index text. The taxonomy editor needs to work
      with the subject matter expert and the programmer.

      In addition, the taxonomy editor will participate in the design of
      taxonomy-based user interfaces for searching and display of results
      and modify the taxonomy to better serve this function.

      Qualifications

      Must be able to think logically and creatively, generate innovative
      ideas, prioritize complex tasks, and work well under pressure;
      look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up
      with creative solutions and transform these creative ideas into
      practical reality;
      adapt and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals,
      and groups.

      Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS) or comparable
      degree. Business background is strongly preferred.

      Ideal candidate will have 3+ years experience in information
      architecture of taxonomies, controlled vocabulary or classification
      schemes for business subject materials, including demonstrated
      consensus building and problem solving in a distributed team
      environment.

      This is for a full-time position with a target start date of mid
      November. We will also have a couple of other openings of the same
      type in early 2009, so we are evaluating candidates who could start
      in either time frame.

      Please send cover letter & resume to me at taxonomyeditor@...