Semantic Analysis Technology, ISKO UK event - London, 3 Nov 2008

  • Bob Bater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      ***Apologies for cross-posting***

      We would like to invite you to a half-day event organized by the British
      Chapter of the International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO UK)
      entitled:

      "Semantic Analysis Technology: in search of categories, concepts & context"

      London, 3 November 2008 from 14:00 - 19:00 (registration starts at 13:15).

      Venue: University College London, Wilkins Building, Gustave Tuck Lecture
      Theatre, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT

      Cost: 20 GBP (students and ISKO members free!)

      Categorizing or classifying information effectively has always placed
      demands on those professional staff qualified to deal with it. But at
      today's exponential rates of growth, it is almost impossible to keep up.
      Much has been written in recent years of the potential of semantic analysis
      technology which extracts categories, concepts and context automatically.
      But how well does this technology work and what are the issues involved?

      In this seminar, organized by ISKO UK in cooperation with the School of
      Library, Archives and Information Studies at UCL, we will hear from six
      presenters, each of whom will provide their own experiences of what many
      information professionals still regard as something of a 'black art'. They
      include SmartLogic's Jeremy Bentley, Bill Porter of Expert System, Rob Lee
      from Rattle Research, and Helen Lippell, Karen Loasby and Silver Oliver
      representing various media organizations, among them the BBC.

      This event is the fourth in ISKO UK's successful KOnnecting KOmmunities
      series, and promises some revealing insights into a technology which we may
      all find ourselves using in the not-too-distant future, whether we like it
      or not.

      For full details on the venue and programme, and to book your place at the
      event visit http://www.iskouk.org/semantic_nov2008.htm.

      We look forward to seeing you in November!

      ISKO UK
      http://www.iskouk.org/

      ******