Tagging docs from a Taxonomy

  • kate.simpson@freshfields.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2005
      [ apologies for cross-posting ]

      Hi all.

      We have hierarchical controlled vocabularies for classifying our documents when submitting them to the system (in-house designed and built). A problem that with hindsight (especially external hindsight!) seems so obvious is beginning to impact search results:

      When choosing terms to add to a document you're submitting, a separate window opens that displays the top level of (for example) our Legal Subjects, you click on the relevant term (eg. Tax) which opens the second level of that term (eg. Domestic, EU, OECD etc), click on one of these and it opens the third level of that term (eg. Corporate Tax, Customs/Excise Duty, VAT, etc) and so on and so forth to a maximum of 5 levels. To select any term and apply it to the document during submission you have to double-click the term (it then appears in a box below displaying all of the terms you have selected for tagging of the document). In theory the design was supposed to be simple: single-click for navigation; double-click for selection. However, users are double-clicking on every term (for navigation and selection). This means in the box below it can begin to look like this:
      Tax
      Tax -> Domestic
      Tax -> Domestic -> Corporate Tax
      Tax -> Domestic -> Corporate Tax -> Merger/Demerger

      This affects both searching and browsing/faceted navigation using these terms. Now I know there are various ways that we could go about fixing the results or correcting users' double-clicking, but before that I'd like to investigate alternative ways for selecting terms from a hierarchical list in the submission process of a system other than double-clicking (such as checkboxes etc?). Does anyone have any examples that they'd be willing to share or pointers to such alternatives on the great WWW?

      A description is not as good as a visual, so please e-mail if you'd like me to send a screengrab of what I'm trying to describe if you think it'll help.

      Many thanks for any suggestions you might have,

      Kate

      Kate Simpson
      Information Architect
      Knowledge Management
      Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
      Ext. 2881
      WF G.05
      Direct +44 (0)20 7785 2881
      Fax +44 (0)20 7108 2881

      This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence. Thank you for your co-operation. Please contact our IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 7936 4000 Ext.2000 or email ITHelp@... if you need assistance.

    • Ron Daniel
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2005
        Hi Kate,

        One way to do this in a web form is shown in:

        This is a JavaScript library that provides an Explorer-like tree control. The
        tree can have checkboxes people would use to select the right category.
        Checkboxes allow multiple subjects to be selected.

        If your users run on a wide range of browsers, then this would need to be
        tested for cross-browser compatibility, but it seems to work well on Firefox
        and MSIE 6.

        Best regards,

        Ron Daniel, Jr.
        Principal, Taxonomy Strategies LLC
        Tel: +1 925 368 8371
        rdaniel@...

        Taxonomy Strategies LLC
        The Business of Organized Information

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
          Hi Kate.

          I think Ron Daniels' suggested solution using tree-style taxonomy displays is probably the most elegant answer to your problem, but from my own experience unless such a tool is already incorporated into your EDMS or whatever application is involved, it's difficult to interface with external tree-browsing applications (of which there are many stand-alone examples).

          Perhaps a less elegant but simpler solution would be to re-program the interface to avoid the problems with users double-clicking when they shouldn't (always a problem, in my experience).  Perhaps a (single or double) click to select the term, with an 'Add This Term' button alongside it would be much more positive and less ambiguous?

          You might try posting your query also on the IAI mailing list (Institute of Information Architecture)  who include user interface design among their key interests and expertise.  On second thoughts, IAI is a members only mailing list.  I'll happily post your query on your behalf, if you wish.

          Will you let us know when you find a solution please?  Otherwise, more of us are likely to fall into the same trap!

          Regards,

          Bob

          >>Principal
          Associate<<

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
            Hi Kate-

            I have used two different custom apps that have used Java Treeview to
            display the hierarchy using the foldering approach: terms with sub-
            terms have a plus next to them for hierarchy expansion; click a term
            for selection.
            Here is the link to the sourceforge page to download:
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtreeview/

            Good luck-
            Lydia