Newby to the forum

  • Clint ELMORE
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008

      My name is Clint.  I work for a data services company in Wisconsin.  I have been reading the board for a few weeks now and I am not sure how much I can contribute.  It appears that most of the posters are well above my level of knowledge and skill.  Also, it seems to be more on the code writing & SQL side.  I do marketing data collection taxonomy design for box stores and also some GDSN work.

      Some of my biggest challenges are to come up with product category specific attributes that are narrow enough to collect quality data on a product, but not so specific to cross the realm into manufacture proprietary data.

      Like I said, I don’t know if my skill set will be of value to much of the current discussion, but I will see what I can do.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
        Welcome Clint - you'll find over time that there are many species of taxonomist lurking here!

        website: www.straitsknowledge.com

        Have you seen our KM Method Cards?   http://www.straitsknowledge.com/store/

        On 04 Aug 2008, at 9:52 PM, Clint ELMORE wrote:

        My name is Clint.  I work for a data services company in Wisconsin.  I have been reading the board for a few weeks now and I am not sure how much I can contribute.  It appears that most of the posters are well above my level of knowledge and skill.  Also, it seems to be more on the code writing & SQL side.  I do marketing data collection taxonomy design for box stores and also some GDSN work.

        Some of my biggest challenges are to come up with product category specific attributes that are narrow enough to collect quality data on a product, but not so specific to cross the realm into manufacture proprietary data.

        Like I said, I don’t know if my skill set will be of value to much of the current discussion, but I will see what I can do.

      • vduvernet
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
          Hello Clint - welcome to the group. I'm a fellow lurker and believe
          I'm involved in work similar to yours. I'm wondering how many others
          in this group are primarily involved in product taxonomies -
          specific to retail, GDSN, GPC etc. I agree that it seems a bit of
          a different world than that much of the group is involved in but it
          may just be that I don't have the expertise level of many here.

          Any others out there? Or Seth, do you have any info on how this
          group breaks down in specialties?

          Val

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Clint ELMORE <clintelmore@...> wrote:

          > My name is Clint. I
          > work for a data services company in Wisconsin. I have been
          reading the board for a few weeks now and I am not sure how
          > much I can contribute. It appears that
          > most of the posters are well above my level of knowledge and
          skill. Also, it seems to be more on the code writing
          > & SQL side. I do marketing data
          > collection taxonomy design for box stores and also some GDSN work.
          >
          > Some of my biggest challenges are to come up with product
          > category specific attributes that are narrow enough to collect
          quality data on
          > a product, but not so specific to cross the realm into manufacture
          proprietary data.

          > Like I said, I don?t know if my skill set will be of value
          > to much of the current discussion, but I will see what I can do.

        • Julie Vittengl
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
            Just chiming in that I too am involved primarily in product taxonomies for a website that allows user discovery of engineering products.

            My organization struggles with the same issues you mention, it helps to have domain experts on staff.

            To: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com
            From: valerie.duvernet@...
            Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:25:24 +0000
            Subject: [TaxoCoP] Re: Newby to the forum

            Hello Clint - welcome to the group. I'm a fellow lurker and believe
            I'm involved in work similar to yours. I'm wondering how many others
            in this group are primarily involved in product taxonomies -
            specific to retail, GDSN, GPC etc. I agree that it seems a bit of
            a different world than that much of the group is involved in but it
            may just be that I don't have the expertise level of many here.

            Any others out there? Or Seth, do you have any info on how this
            group breaks down in specialties?

            Val

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups .com, Clint ELMORE <clintelmore@ ...> wrote:

            > My name is Clint. I
            > work for a data services company in Wisconsin. I have been
            reading the board for a few weeks now and I am not sure how
            > much I can contribute. It appears that
            > most of the posters are well above my level of knowledge and
            skill. Also, it seems to be more on the code writing
            > & SQL side. I do marketing data
            > collection taxonomy design for box stores and also some GDSN work.
            >
            > Some of my biggest challenges are to come up with product
            > category specific attributes that are narrow enough to collect
            quality data on
            > a product, but not so specific to cross the realm into manufacture
            proprietary data.

            > Like I said, I don?t know if my skill set will be of value
            > to much of the current discussion, but I will see what I can do.

            Get more from your digital life. Find out how.
          • Clint
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
              It becomes even more difficult when trying to balance multiple
              retailers. What I have found is that retailer A calls a product
              feature/style 'x' while retailer B calls the exact same product
              feature/style 'y' to create 'market separation'

              While we do have some category experts on the taxonomy team, google
              has become our best friend to research product categories to design
              the taxonomy structure and come up with relevant and valuable
              attributes that vendors will fill out and retailers will use.

              I really hope that there are more people on the board that work with
              retailer taxonomies and the glorious and super fun GDSN.

              --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Julie Vittengl <julievittengl@...> wrote:

              > Just chiming in that I too am involved primarily in product
              taxonomies for a website that allows user discovery of engineering
              products.My organization struggles with the same issues you mention,
              it helps to have domain experts on staff.

              > To: TaxoCoP@...: valerie.duvernet@...: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:25:24
              +0000Subject: [TaxoCoP] Re: Newby to the forum

              <clintelmore@> wrote:>> My name is Clint. I> work for a data services