Which pro associations?

  • marcy_brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
      Hi, all,

      I'm mostly a lurker here who's just discovered that I have the budget
      to join an additional professional association. In my position I work
      as part of a team managing a large taxonomy and also applying that
      taxonomy in big content tagging projects. All of our sites are medical.

      I searched the archives but couldn't find any discussion of relevant
      associations. I'm looking for 1) an emphasis on practice, though
      research is good, too; 2) an opportunity to volunteer and network
      through smaller committees or communities of practice; 3) possible
      publishing opportunities.

      Which association(s) do you belong to? What do you wish you belonged to?

      Thanks for any and all suggestions!

      Marcy Brown
      Silverchair
    • Heather Hedden
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
        Hi Marcy,

        If "content tagging" can be considered indexing, then you might want to
        join the American Society for Indexing.
        www.asindexing.org
        Although the majority of its members are back-of-the-book indexers, the
        association does include those involved in article/database indexing and
        their associated controlled vocabularies. A Taxonomies & Controlled
        Vocabularies Special Interest Group was just started up this year (I am
        that SIG's manager):
        www.taxonomies-sig.org

        By the way, I saw a presentation by your colleague at Silverchair Jake
        Zarnegar at the Society for Scholarly Publishing conference in May on
        the subject of semantic tagging, and I'm quoting him in a forthcoming
        article I have written.

        -- Heather

        Heather Hedden
        Hedden Information Management
        Heather@...
        http://www.Hedden-Information.com

        marcy_brown wrote:
        > Hi, all,
        >
        > I'm mostly a lurker here who's just discovered that I have the budget
        > to join an additional professional association. In my position I work
        > as part of a team managing a large taxonomy and also applying that
        > taxonomy in big content tagging projects. All of our sites are medical.
        >
        > I searched the archives but couldn't find any discussion of relevant
        > associations. I'm looking for 1) an emphasis on practice, though
        > research is good, too; 2) an opportunity to volunteer and network
        > through smaller committees or communities of practice; 3) possible
        > publishing opportunities.
        >
        > Which association(s) do you belong to? What do you wish you belonged to?
        >
        > Thanks for any and all suggestions!
        >
        > Marcy Brown
        > Silverchair
      • Alice Redmond-Neal
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2008
          Hi, Marcy,

          You may also want to consider SLA (formerly called Special Libraries Association--www.sla.org). The divisions (like SIGs) you might be interested in include Biomedical and Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical and Health Technology, and Knowledge Management. SLA also has geographic Chapters. For a somewhat heavier research orientation (IMHO), there's the American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T--www.asist.org). Both see "tagging" as categorization with controlled vocabs.

          --Alice
          Alice Redmond-Neal