TaxCoP New Member Introduction

  • lucytorres_bp
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      As requested by Seth, here is my introduction. This group was
      recommended to me by a consultant that did some ERM training at my
      company.

      My name is Lucy Torres and I work for a pipeline company. By
      training I am an IT person and in the past I managed a team that was
      responsible for the GIS system, Documentum, Engineering project
      files, and engineering data for the pipelines that we operate.

      Late last year I moved into a newly created role for our business
      titled 'Governance Coordinator' and as part of that role I picked up
      the responsibility for the Asset Data Taxonomy model being
      developed. This taxonomy is in support of the Asset Management
      System we have planned.

      One of my concerns is the expectations of our taxonomy. The
      word 'taxonomy' is one of the newest buzzwords around and I fear
      that some folks are under the impression that it will solve
      everything. The purpose of this taxonomy is to have us reference
      our assets in a common way and also uniquely identify the assets.
      We also have a Document & Records Management project that is
      expecting input from our Taxonomy as they indicated that taxonomy is
      not within their scope.

      I have been reading as much as I can about taxonomies, metadata,
      etc. I do have a copy of Patrick Lambe's book and I just
      ordered 'Building Enterprise Taxonomies'. I look forward to
      learnings I can get from this group.

      Lucy Torres