Semantic tagging

  • Heather Hedden
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2008
      I'm writing an article for publication on "semantic tagging." I'd like
      to hear from those of you who can tell me more about what it is (beyond
      the obvious definition of tagging that carries more "meaning" than just
      keywords), examples of how it is used, and what are some vendors in this
      area. Thanks.

      FYI, I got started on this by attending a conference pre-meeting seminar
      of the Society for Scholarly Publishers:
      "Say What You Mean: How Semantic Tagging Makes Content More
      Discoverable, More Useful, and More Valuable"
      https://www.sspnet.org/Events/Meetings_and_Seminars/Annual_Meeting_Information/spage.aspx

      Heather

      --
      Heather Hedden
      Information Taxonmist

      Hedden Information Management
      www.Hedden-Information.com
    • Fred Leise
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 20, 2008
        Heather,

        One software company to investigate is Park Street Solutions
        (www.parkstreetsoftware.com). They have a product called Ontx Knowledge
        Modeling that includes a "concept manager" that according to their
        website, "allows definition and management of the class structures used
        in Ontx models. Concept Manager supports inheritance and polymorphism,
        and provides generalized semantic network support complete with
        user-defined connection semantics."

        Fred

        Fred Leise
        Principal and Owner
        ContextualAnalysis, LLC
        www.contextualanalysis.com
        773-764-2588

        Heather Hedden wrote:
        > I'm writing an article for publication on "semantic tagging." I'd like
        > to hear from those of you who can tell me more about what it is (beyond
        > the obvious definition of tagging that carries more "meaning" than just
        > keywords), examples of how it is used, and what are some vendors in this
        > area. Thanks.
      • Lisa
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2008
          Heather,

          I would also take a look at the presentation abstracts and vendors from the Semantic Technology Conference in San Jose  as well as Linked Data (disclosure: my employer presented at both).

          Beyond more traditional knowledge representation models (in OWL, etc) mapped to data, microformats and annotations like RDFa may also be considered to be part of the "semantic tagging" space. Yahoo, for example, will soon support RDFa.

          Lisa

          Heather Hedden wrote:

          > I'm writing an article for publication on "semantic tagging." I'd like
          > to hear from those of you who can tell me more about what it is (beyond
          > the obvious definition of tagging that carries more "meaning" than just
          > keywords), examples of how it is used, and what are some vendors in this
          > area. Thanks.

        • DuCharme, Bob
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2008
            To be safe, your article should probably define both of your terms: "semantic" and "tagging." To someone with an electronic publishing background, "tagging" is the addition of start- and end-tags to a plain text document to convert it to XML, and much of the "self-describing" hype that accompanied XML's early days derived from the semantics of the tags. For example, <firstName>Richard</firstName><lastName>Mutt</lastName><hireDate>2008-05-28</hireDate>.

            Of course, to a del.icio.us user, tagging is something else, so you'll want to make what you mean by either term clear.

            Bob DuCharme

[...]

            Disclaimer:
            -----------

            "This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful."
          • Christine Connors
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 21, 2008
              Hello,

              I agree with Fred, Lisa and Bob, but I want to challenge a frequent usage of the phrase.

              For me the term "semantic tagging" is mostly marketing hype. Any tagging system that uses a controlled vocabulary with relationships among the terms is, even at the lowest levels, semantic. BT/NT/UF aid in the understanding of the meaning of the tag, which is what a "semantic" system is all about.

              For it to be more than a buzzword, I would define "semantic tagging" as indexing content with terms from a vocabulary which, at minimum, meets Z39.5 standards, and at best uses the full power of RDF/SKOS/OWL so that the data itself - as opposed to just it's tag - can be linked to other data across the internet, and reasoned on. For retrieval/findability purposes "semantic tagging" should improve both precision and recall when done correctly.

              I would caution your readers to dig into what the vendor is providing - does it have full semantic modeling capabilities? For example, can they import schema and define their own relationship types?  Do the tools provide a retrieval system that can follow the relationships of the index term to improve meaning-based precision as opposed to pattern-matched precision? Is the data itself published with the tags and schema so that external systems can "understand" the semantics of it? (As opposed to a catalog record for example.)

              These are some of my thoughts - what do others think?

              Happy writing Heather!

              Cheers,
              Christine

              Christine Connors
              Global Director, Semantic Technology Solutions
              Dow Jones & Co
              www.linkedin.com/in/cjmconnors

            • Kathleen.a.ellis@att.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 22, 2008
                Christine,

                I liked your response it is very informative. Could you expand on the last vendor question. "Is the data itself published with the tags and schema so that external systems can "understand" the semantics of it? (As opposed to a catalog record for example.)". I'm not understanding the example.

                -------------- Original message from Christine Connors <CJMConnors@...>: --------------

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 22, 2008
                  Hi Christine,

                  Thank you for your comments. Challenging the use of the phrase "semantic
                  tagging" is fine. I was beginning to reach that conclusion myself. My
                  research had not turned up anything clearly definable, and that is why I
                  turned to this group (and CM Professionals as well). But now I am stuck
                  with writing an article with "semantic tagging" in the title, because it
                  appeared in the title of a conference panel. That panel moderator said,
                  though, that "semantic tagging is a more general term than
                  taxonomy-based tagging."

                  -- Heather --

                  Heather Hedden
                  Information Taxonomist

                  www.Hedden-Information.com <http://ion.com>

                  Christine Connors wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I agree with Fred, Lisa and Bob, but I want to challenge a frequent
                  > usage of the phrase.
                  >
                  > For me the term "semantic tagging" is mostly marketing hype. Any
                  > tagging system that uses a controlled vocabulary with relationships
                  > among the terms is, even at the lowest levels, semantic. BT/NT/UF aid
                  > in the understanding of the meaning of the tag, which is what a
                  > "semantic" system is all about.
                  >
                  > For it to be more than a buzzword, I would define "semantic tagging"
                  > as indexing content with terms from a vocabulary which, at minimum,
                  > meets Z39.5 standards, and at best uses the full power of RDF/SKOS/OWL
                  > so that the data itself - as opposed to just it's tag - can be linked
                  > to other data across the internet, and reasoned on. For
                  > retrieval/findability purposes "semantic tagging" should improve both
                  > precision and recall when done correctly.
                  >
                  > I would caution your readers to dig into what the vendor is providing
                  > - does it have full semantic modeling capabilities? For example, can
                  > they import schema and define their own relationship types? Do the
                  > tools provide a retrieval system that can follow the relationships of
                  > the index term to improve meaning-based precision as opposed to
                  > pattern-matched precision? Is the data itself published with the tags
                  > and schema so that external systems can "understand" the semantics of
                  > it? (As opposed to a catalog record for example.)
                  >
                  > These are some of my thoughts - what do others think?
                  >
                  > Happy writing Heather!
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Christine
                  >
                  > Christine Connors
                  > Global Director, Semantic Technology Solutions
                  > Dow Jones & Co
                  > www.linkedin.com/in/cjmconnors

                • James Melzer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 22, 2008
                    I agree with Bob that you should definitely include a definition of
                    your terms to frame your discussion. Outside the semantic web world,
                    'tagging' may refer to the application of non-controlled (folksonomic)
                    vocabulary terms as metadata on objects, particularly by non-experts.
                    This side of tagging is very 'in' right now, and may be the meaning
                    your conference panel had in mind. I recommend checking out the work
                    of Rashmi Sinha (1) and Gene Smith (2).

                    1) http://rashmisinha.com/category/tagging/
                    particularly:
                    http://rashmisinha.com/2006/01/18/a-social-analysis-of-tagging/
                    2) http://atomiq.org/
                    and his recent book on Tagging: http://tinyurl.com/5vnjge

                    ~ James

                    --
                    James Melzer
                    blog: http://www.jamesmelzer.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 25, 2008
                      Hi -

                      Sure -  here's hoping this is better!

                      Sometimes the metadata about an object only points you at the object rather than being embedded in the object itself. An example would be a record in a "traditional" library catalog. This can still allow some semantic understanding of the object, however, it has a greater chance of breaking - and as we know, books move and links break all the time.  We shouldn't have to go chasing down the book OR it's reverse - the metadata. Also, in this tradition, understanding of the structure is assumed by professionals (e.g. those of us who survived learning the Ango-American Cataloging Rules) and not shared fully - title, author and subject are fairly obvious, but really, who wants to learn what "planar coordinate data" is when they can have their computer mash the element-values up to GoogleEarth and give them a nice picture instead? When the schema and tags are inserted into the object there is less chance of a break. The consuming agent (human or machine) can refer to the tagged concepts (meaning) and schema (structure) of information for more holistic analysis and the authority/trust that comes from data with a clear provenance. An example would be to include Dublin Core metadata as part of an eBook. The metadata stays with it's object, is usable by a wide variety of systems (search, browse, e-learning, ecommerce, etc) and also points you back to the Dublin Core schema definition so you can understand what an element means.  Far too many "tagging" systems use a proprietary format for their tags, or warehouse the tags in their indexes rather than applying them to the object, making it so other systems can't use the tags.

                      There are tons of other benefits, but it's getting late, and the kids get up far too early! I hope it helped!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2008
                        Just to build a little on what Christine said, one of the great advantages of the RDF data model and various implementations of it is the ability to store metadata outside of the object being described or inside it, if the object is  stored in digital form (e.g. RDF/XML in XML, RDFa in HTML, or XMP in binary files using Adobe tools). The ease of aggregating disparate sets of RDF data, regardless of where they are stored, is what really lets you build on this data to get things done. I wrote on article on this for Dr. Dobb's Journal that is reproduced at http://www.snee.com/xml/rdf-drdobbs.html.
                        Bob DuCharme

                        Sometimes the metadata about an object only points you at the object rather than being embedded in the object itself ...
                        .

                        Disclaimer: