Introduction and opportunity for strategic taxonomy manager

  • Stavros Macrakis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2008
      I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself, and also communicate an interesting job opportunity to others here.

      My name is Stavros Macrakis, and I'm responsible for Search and Knowledge Discovery at Gerson Lehrman Group (glgroup.com).  GLG is a matchmaker for experts.  We have over 175,000 subject-matter experts worldwide whom we connect with our 750+ corporate clients for a large variety of paid consulting projects.  Among our staff of about 600 people, our matchmakers (Research Managers) are the primary users of our internal search engine.  We also provide search for our clients and our consultants.  As you can imagine, we have considerable information on each of our consultants and on their projects, including classification in our large proprietary industry taxonomy which is maintained by a team of data managers. Which brings me to the job opportunity.

      The Senior Product Manager, Knowledge Management, will be the business owner of all of GLG's structured data and related systems. He or she will define the structure and content of our taxonomies and ontologies and specify technologies to be developed or bought. I include the full job description below. The position will be based in New York City or in Austin, Texas (or perhaps in Boston).

      If you are interested in this position, or want to recommend someone for it, please email me at smacrakis@....

                   -s

      Overview of Senior Product Manager, Knowledge Management (Core Systems Group):

      The Senior Product Manager, Knowledge Management, will be the business owner of all of GLG's structured data and related systems.

      Structured data and data management systems are key elements of many of GLG's business workflows and play a key role in distinguishing the Firm from its competitors.  We maintain multiple universes of structured information, including industry sector hierarchies, subject taxonomies covering a wide set of domains ranging from healthcare to legal affairs and corporate taxonomy classifications.  GLG uses its wealth of structured information to manage key information related to experts in our network and leverages it to make the highest quality matches possible between these experts and our clients' unique and diverse research interests.  In addition to maintaining our existing universe of structured data, we continually work on improving its structure and expanding its content, as well as developing and/or buying sophisticated technologies to enhance our ability to leverage it.

      The Senior Product Manager will work directly with the business head of our Search and Knowledge Management team and other senior members of both the business and technology sides of the Firm.

      Specific responsibilities include:

      ·          Structured Data Management – Define the business requirements that determine the needed content and structure of GLG's diverse taxonomies and other data as well as the processes used by internal members of the Firm to manage them. Help other product owners understand how to leverage these taxonomies in their products. Manage relationships with relevant existing and potential vendors.

      ·          Taxonomy Systems – Define the business requirements for software systems to manage GLG's taxonomies.  Work closely with senior members of GLG's technology group to lead initiatives to build or buy solutions to assist in this task.

      ·          Manage a team of Data Managers – Manage a team of data managers based in India who report indirectly to you. Develop strategies on an ongoing basis for how best to utilize this pool of resources.

      The ideal candidate is a seasoned professional with a demonstrated track record of successfully managing complex sets of structured data, identifying and implementing knowledge management systems and assisting corporations to leverage related technologies successfully.

      Skills:

      ·          A minimum of 5 - 6 years experience with taxonomies, ontologies or similar types of structured data and related systems.

      ·          Experience working with software product development teams and a demonstrated track record of successfully completing complex products/systems.

      ·          Bachelor's or Master's degree in library science, information systems, computer science or a related field.

      ·          Ability to translate user requirements into actionable plans and tangible deliverables.

      ·          Ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents (Design, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, Legal, clients, etc.).

      ·          Although not required, experience with ontology or taxonomy standards such as OWL and RDF and leading vendor solutions in the domain is a plus.

      ·          Ability to multi-task and work with tight deadlines.

      ·          Excellent organization and project management skills.

      ·          Highest levels of integrity and professionalism and a passion for creating great products.

      About Gerson Lehrman Group:

      Gerson Lehrman Group ("GLG") manages the GLG Councils, a global network of 175,000+ subject-matter experts.  GLG's services and web-based software help its clients – which include 750+ of the world's top financial services firms, professional services firms, corporations, and nonprofits – find, engage, and manage these experts for paid consulting projects.  In 2007, the company facilitated over 100,000 unique paid consulting projects and generated revenue of $225 million.

      GLG was founded in 1998 and currently employs more than 600 people in 15 offices globally, including: New York , Boston , Washington , DC, Chicago , Austin , San Francisco , Los Angeles , London , Sydney , Hong Kong, Shanghai , Singapore , Tokyo , and Gurgaon , India .  The company is privately held and has received financial backing from 2 top-tier private equity firms:  Bessemer Venture Partners and Silver Lake Partners.

      Evaluation, Compensation and Benefits:

      Salary: Competitive base salary plus year-end performance-based discretionary bonus

      Healthcare: United Health plan and Metlife Dental Insurance

      Vacation: 15 days per year plus New York Stock Exchange holidays