Re: [TaxoCoP] hierarchical or associated relationships between company names and industries

  • Marc Shimpeno
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      I would definitely consider the relationship to be hierarchical and do in my current Industry/Company taxonomy.  Think of it this way: "Microsoft" is a company that is a part of the "Applications Software" sector.

      Associative implies a See Also, which doesn't really make sense between companies and the sector they belong to.  Again, notice the ownership aspects in that last sentence?

      On this note, about the relationships between subjects and the industry sector.  Using the same example, let's say you have the term "Software" and you want to link it with the sector "Application Software".  You have several options, none of which seems better than any of the others.

      1. Sectors are a different class of information and are NTs to Topics
      2. Sectors are in the Topical class and are NTs to Topics
      3. Maybe this is where the associative relationship comes in?  Sector is a RT of Topic

      Thoughts?

      Heather Hedden <heather@...> wrote:
      Here is a question for thesaurus standards experts: Is the relationship
      between a company name and its corresponding industry considered to be
      hierarchical (broader term whole-part) or rather an associative
      relationship (with a corporate entity type being the broader term
      generic for company name entities)?

      -- Heather

    • Dalbin
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        >>--- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Marc Shimpeno <marcshimp@...> wrote:
        >> I would definitely consider the relationship to be hierarchical and
        do in my current Industry/Company taxonomy. ...

        >> Heather Hedden <heather@...> wrote:
        >> Here is a question for thesaurus standards experts

        US experts have already worked :
        From ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005
        ***8.3.2 Instance Relationships***
        This relationship identifies the link between a general category of
        things or events, expressed by a common noun, and an individual
        instance of that category, often a proper name. This type of
        relationship is also known as an "IsA" relationship.
        8.3.2.1 Codes for the Instance Relationship
        The hierarchical instance relationship may be indicated by the
        following abbreviations:
        • BTI = Broader term (instance)
        • NTI = Narrower term (instance)

        Don't hesitate : it's free on ANSI website : http://www.niso.org/home
        --
        Sylvie Dalbin
        Tel : +33 (0)1 42 77 18 10
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          Hi Sylvie,

          I have a copy of the ANSI/NISO standard, and it isn't that obvious in this case.

          Microsoft Corp. "is a" Software industry.
          This does not sound correct.

          -- Heather

          On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Dalbin <ForumATD@...> wrote:
          >>--- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Marc Shimpeno <marcshimp@...> wrote:
          >> I would definitely consider the relationship to be hierarchical and
          do in my current Industry/Company taxonomy. ...

          >> Heather Hedden <heather@...> wrote:
          >> Here is a question for thesaurus standards experts

          US experts have already worked :
          From ANSI/NISO Z39.19-2005
          ***8.3.2 Instance Relationships***
          This relationship identifies the link between a general category of
          things or events, expressed by a common noun, and an individual
          instance of that category, often a proper name. This type of
          relationship is also known as an "IsA" relationship.
          8.3.2.1 Codes for the Instance Relationship
          The hierarchical instance relationship may be indicated by the
          following abbreviations:
          • BTI = Broader term (instance)
          • NTI = Narrower term (instance)

          Don't hesitate : it's free on ANSI website : http://www.niso.org/home
          --
          Sylvie Dalbin
          Tel : +33 (0)1 42 77 18 10
          Assistance & Techniques Documentaires
          127 Rue Amelot F-75011 Paris
          Sites : www.descripteurs.net - www.ATD-doc.com

        • Banan, Gabrielle
          Message 4 of 15 , May 7, 2008
            Isn't that one of the purposes of a faceted taxonomy?  If you know what facet you are in, you would know the nature of the relationship between set and super-set. So you wouldn't be confused as to whether the relationship implied or ignored the issue of ownership - you'd know from the context of the facet.
            An organizational facet would imply that the set was a member of the super-set in the sense of being part of it through reporting structure. A subject or discipline facet would imply that the set was a member of the super-set in the sense of being an instance of it. For people who use taxonomies for practical purposes such as finding or navigating content, I don't think there's that much confusion.

            Gabrielle Banan
            Information Architect
            Delta Technology
            gabrielle.banan@...