Re: [TaxoCoP] Introduction and definitions

  • Nancy Allison
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 21 7:59 AM
      I can't remember if I introduced myself or not! If I did, it must not have been very memorable if I can't remember writing it!

      I am a technical writer who is looking to branch into some kind of content management, corporate taxonomies -- not sure at all what exactly! My deepest expertise is in searching dutifully through lengthy trees of Windows Explorer folders looking for the most recent version of a document I have been assigned to update. Most documentation departments that I have worked in, in 20 years of freelancing, do not have any content management systems in place.

      I'm sort of looking for my next incarnation and trying to figure out if some aspect of content management might be it.

      --Nancy
    • Marcel van Mackelenbergh
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21 10:18 AM

        Wow Nancy, this is so good to hear. Karen Schriver already announced that the next evolution for technical communication would be Information Architecture. Slowly a slowly we start seeing information architecture as a type of communication. So yes, go for this gut-feeling and make sure you apply all these technical communication skills to information architecture. I am anxious to see your results.

        Marcel

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 21 7:18 PM
          Data Harmony has also posted a glossary, with links to various NISO standards. See http://www.dataharmony.com/taxonomy_glossary.htm

          Since there have been some questions about taxonomy software, those of you interested in consulting help or in software for creating and managing taxonomies or categorizing documents might want to look at their products and services at http://www.dataharmony.com/index.html.

          Regards,
          Janice Keeler

          Seth Earley <seth@...> wrote:
          Hi Leonard,

          Thanks for introducing yourself.  I think taxonomy has been commandeered by
          the business and IT world and is out of the realm of biologists for good
          now...  ;-)

          I noticed the htm extension was cut off of your url.  I've had a link to
          your glossary on my resources page (http://www.earley.com/resources.htm) for
          some time now, its a very useful and comprehensive listing of terms and
          definitions.

          Here is the link for the rest of the group
          http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/glossary.htm

          By the way, if anyone has links of value let me know - I'll put a list of
          them here and also have them on my site.

          Seth
          Next taxo conference call July 27th 2 PM EDT
          "Best Practices in Taxonomy Deployment"
          Registration and agenda at
          www.earley.com/events.htm

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 21 7:49 PM
            Thanks Janice....

            And Margie Hlava of Access Innovations (the company that makes Data Harmony) is one of our presenters during next week's CoP call...