RE: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomies in small to medium size companies?

  • Gardner, Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 2007
      I think the questions must be what is the amount of content that they are storing, who wants access to that content (just the employees or external folk as well), and what is the importance of the content. Then when we talk about taxonomy are we talking about folder taxonomy or classification in terms of metadata.

      I think my response would be that providing there was a reasonable volume of content then the business needs to be able to find the content it needs immediately. In the aerospace industry this is particularly important as there are such factors as traceability of components to raw materials in the event of accidents, ability to demonstrate understanding of complex integration of components, etc. So it is important for the organization to have a clear and concise method to categorize their content, and to be able to find that content when they need it.

      Mike Gardner
      EDS CIO EKM Team - EDS Taxonomist & Content Rationalization Leader
      Telephone: +44 (0) 1332 227367 (Hudson House) - Mon
      +44 (0)1332 663964 (Home Office) - Tue - Fri
      Mobile: +44 (0)7790 492991
      Hudson House, Derby, UK
      micheal.gardner@...

      This email contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. Unless you are the intended addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not use, forward, copy or disclose to anyone this email or any information contained in this email. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender by reply email immediately and delete this email.

      Electronic Data Systems Ltd
      Registered Office:, Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square, London  W1J 6ER
      Registered in England no: 53419
      VAT number: 432 99 5915

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2007
        >>Would there be any use for a taxonomy within a small to medium company?
        >>I'm thinking of a range of 100-500 people within such an organization.

        In abstract, it is difficult to answer convincingly. But one man's opinion: absolutely!

        As long as you are not talking about a company-wide taxonomy for the intranet (which is how some people seem to interpret "taxonomy"), companies of any size have a number of taxonomies that they don't even recognize as such, and which they consequently suffer from.

        Any excel spreadsheet with more than one column has a taxonomy. Two excel spreadsheets with different taxonomies is a problem.

        So however a company manages their list of customers contains a taxonomy. If it is a small company, it may even have more taxonomic problems than a large company, since they don't think they need to standardize. (For example, if they are using a small office version of some contact manager, each sales person with a separate database.) It often ends up where someone (a secretary?) has to know which sales person manages which customer.

        So customers, product/service catalog, employee directory are three simple examples. (Customers and employees are often handled by off the shelf software, but product/service catalog often requires a custom solution.)

        Finally, if there is a web site, you usually need a taxonomy of drive the structure and navigation of the web site, whether that taxonomy is explicit to the users or not. If you don't make the taxonomy explicit to the designers/developers, you tend to fall prey to structural arguments with little basis for resolution.

        Is that what you were thinking of?

        Andrew Gent
        HP Services