[TaxoCoP] Taxonomy reading

  • Aline
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hello folks,
      I'm interested in hearing about what people are reading regarding
      taxonomy, facets and ontologies. I'll be happy to compile a list of
      Aline

      Aline Martinez
      Content Strategist
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007
        Hi Aline

        A couple of background classics, Bowker and Star's book Sorting Things Out (1999), and Barbara Kwasnik's article 'The role of classification in knowledge representation and discovery' Library Trends 1999.

        David Weinberger's Everything is Miscellaneous (2007) gives some brilliant descriptions of the history of taxonomy work, but disappointed me because apart from the great descriptions it's really a one thought book... whetted my appetite but left me unsatisfied.

        I've just started reading Alex Wright's Glut: Mastering Information Through the Ages (2007) which is already promising to be much more substantial and thought provoking.

        On 30 Sep 2007, at 8:35 PM, Aline wrote:

        Hello folks,
        I'm interested in hearing about what people are reading regarding
        taxonomy, facets and ontologies. I'll be happy to compile a list of
        Aline

        Aline Martinez
        Content Strategist

      • Jesse Wilkins
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007

          Patrick’s book. :)

          William Denton’s list of resources at http://www.miskatonic.org/library/facet-biblio.html

          Joseph Busch and Ron Daniel’s list of resources at http://www.taxonomystrategies.com/html/bibliography.htm

          The excellent resources out at http://www.taxotips.com/.

          I can’t point to any one thing as I’m still working my way through much of the materials, orienting myself, and making determinations as to what ones are truly valuable for me. But those three lists should keep folks busy for a couple days at least.

          Regards,

          Jesse Wilkins

          CDIA+, edp, LIT, ICP, ermm, ecmm

          Jwilkins13@...