Re: [TaxoCoP] Science/technology taxonomies

  • Donna M. Fritzsche
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Linda,
      I have worked on knowledge representation schemes for electronic circuitry (a NASA project). I am interested in learning more about your discovery!

      Donna Fritzsche

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
        Re: [TaxoCoP]  Science/technology taxonomies Hello Linda,

        I don’t know what categories of Science & Technology you’re specifically referring to but, if it helps, we’ve commercialized and offer our customers an “Information Technology” Ontology and Taxonomy.  We later expanded this to include a “Corporate/Enterprise” Ontology and Taxonomy.

        If I may ask, what is it that you’re interested in and/or trying to achieve?

        My Best,

        FG

        Frank Guerino, CEO
        TraverseIT
        908-294-5191 Cell
        http://www.TraverseIT.com

        On 9/13/07 12:44 PM, "Linda Kenny Sloan" <lksloan@...> wrote:

        Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy use/creation in
        science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the NASA taxonomy
        that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday I found a
        lead to a taxonoy for
        assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone ever seem
        anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if anyone is
        interested.

        Sincerely,
        Linda Kenny Sloan
        Writing, Research &
        Indexing services for
        Science and Technology at
        http://informationuniverse.com
        Lksloan@... <mailto:Lksloan%40informationuniverse.com>
        Phone 310-515-0618

      • Paul Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
          Linda --

          You might want to look at the Transportation Reseach Thesaurus, which
          was created in the Nineties, and is actively maintained. Just google
          the title, or TRIS (Transportation Research Information Service). It
          is organized by facets and has a viewer program that allows
          navigation by the hierarchy.

          Paul Rosenberg
          GEICO Insurance

          P.S. I had a hand in its creation, and also wrote the viewer program.

          --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Linda Kenny Sloan <lksloan@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy
          use/creation in
          > science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the
          NASA taxonomy
          > that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday
          I found a
          > lead to a taxonoy for
          > assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone
          ever seem
          > anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if
          anyone is
          > interested.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Linda Kenny Sloan
          > Writing, Research &
          > Indexing services for
          > Science and Technology at
          > http://informationuniverse.com
          > Lksloan@...
          > Phone 310-515-0618

        • Linda Kenny Sloan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
            Thank you for all the replies to my last message. It's nice to know that there
            are some sci/tech people working in this field.

            Now for the story around this. I index technical aerospace journals. Until a
            couple of days ago I had never seen taxonomies mentione in this literature. All
            of a sudden I spot a reference to "Dudek's taxonomy" regarding unmanned aerial
            vehicles (UAVs) doing cooperative 'flocking' manuevers. I promptly googled the
            above phrase, with quotes, and came up with 9 references to a few books, article
            and an intro to robotics course that covered it nicely with examples. The
            taxonomy deals with task assignments to fleets of UAVs. The last item I
            downloaded and am waiting for enough time in order to enjoy and learn from it
            further.

            Any coments? You can try it yourself if you want.