[TaxoCoP] Science/technology taxonomies

  • Linda Kenny Sloan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
      Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy use/creation in
      science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the NASA taxonomy
      that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday I found a
      lead to a taxonoy for
      assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone ever seem
      anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if anyone is
      interested.

      Sincerely,
      Linda Kenny Sloan
      Writing, Research &
      Indexing services for
      Science and Technology at
      http://informationuniverse.com
      Lksloan@...
      Phone 310-515-0618
    • Donna M. Fritzsche
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hi Linda,
        I have worked on knowledge representation schemes for electronic circuitry (a NASA project). I am interested in learning more about your discovery!

        Donna Fritzsche

        >Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy use/creation in
        >
        >science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the NASA taxonomy
        >
        >that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday I found a
        >
        >lead to a taxonoy for
        >
        >assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone ever seem
        >
        >anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if anyone is
        >
        >interested.
        >

        >Sincerely,
        >
        >Linda Kenny Sloan
        >
        >Writing, Research &
        >
        >Indexing services for
        >
        >Science and Technology at
        >
        >http://informationuniverse.com
        >
        >Lksloan@...
        >
        >Phone 310-515-0618

      • Frank Guerino
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13, 2007
          Re: [TaxoCoP]  Science/technology taxonomies Hello Linda,

          I don’t know what categories of Science & Technology you’re specifically referring to but, if it helps, we’ve commercialized and offer our customers an “Information Technology” Ontology and Taxonomy.  We later expanded this to include a “Corporate/Enterprise” Ontology and Taxonomy.

          If I may ask, what is it that you’re interested in and/or trying to achieve?

          My Best,

          FG

          Frank Guerino, CEO
          TraverseIT
          908-294-5191 Cell
          http://www.TraverseIT.com

          On 9/13/07 12:44 PM, "Linda Kenny Sloan" <lksloan@...> wrote:

          Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy use/creation in
          science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the NASA taxonomy
          that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday I found a
          lead to a taxonoy for
          assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone ever seem
          anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if anyone is
          interested.

          Sincerely,
          Linda Kenny Sloan
          Writing, Research &
          Indexing services for
          Science and Technology at
          http://informationuniverse.com
          Lksloan@... <mailto:Lksloan%40informationuniverse.com>
          Phone 310-515-0618

        • Paul Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
            Linda --

            You might want to look at the Transportation Reseach Thesaurus, which
            was created in the Nineties, and is actively maintained. Just google
            the title, or TRIS (Transportation Research Information Service). It
            is organized by facets and has a viewer program that allows
            navigation by the hierarchy.

            Paul Rosenberg
            GEICO Insurance

            P.S. I had a hand in its creation, and also wrote the viewer program.

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Linda Kenny Sloan <lksloan@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone here had any involvement or knowldge of taxonomy
            use/creation in
            > science and technology fields other than medicine. I know of the
            NASA taxonomy
            > that Joe Busch of Taxonomy Strategies has worked on. Just yesterday
            I found a
            > lead to a taxonoy for
            > assigning tasks to a special class of robotics devices. Has anyone
            ever seem
            > anything like this? I can pass on information on my discovery if
            anyone is
            > interested.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Linda Kenny Sloan
            > Writing, Research &
            > Indexing services for
            > Science and Technology at
            > http://informationuniverse.com
            > Lksloan@...
            > Phone 310-515-0618

          • Linda Kenny Sloan
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
              Thank you for all the replies to my last message. It's nice to know that there
              are some sci/tech people working in this field.

              Now for the story around this. I index technical aerospace journals. Until a
              couple of days ago I had never seen taxonomies mentione in this literature. All
              of a sudden I spot a reference to "Dudek's taxonomy" regarding unmanned aerial
              vehicles (UAVs) doing cooperative 'flocking' manuevers. I promptly googled the
              above phrase, with quotes, and came up with 9 references to a few books, article
              and an intro to robotics course that covered it nicely with examples. The
              taxonomy deals with task assignments to fleets of UAVs. The last item I
              downloaded and am waiting for enough time in order to enjoy and learn from it
              further.

              Any coments? You can try it yourself if you want.