August TaxoCoP call - Facets & Taxonomies

  • Stephanie Lemieux
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2007
      Join us August 29th, 1:00-2:00 pm ET for the monthly TaxoCoP call.

      This month's topic: New Developments in Faceted Search

      Cost: $50 per participant
      Register at
      http://www.earley.com/WebProActive.asp?process=ShoppingCart&itemId=39&39:quantity=1

      Speakers:
      Seth Earley (Earley & Associates) & Pete Bell (Endeca)

      Most people have some understanding of the role of facets. Facets are
      derived structures that help us organize and access content in a much
      more precise and controlled way. Think PC Connection or just about any
      ecommerce site these days. Shop by color, or price, product category,
      and so on. Each of these are facets of the content and controlled
      vocabularies typically populate these lists.

      However, we are also seeing a drive toward less control and a
      decentralization of term creation. Think tags and collaboration tools
      like wikis and blogs. Is there a hybrid process? Can we get the
      precision of facets with the adaptability of tags?

      This months' taxonomy Community of Practice call will explore these
      issues. We'll start with an overview of facets and faceted search and
      then hear from Peter Bell, one of the founders of Endeca, a faceted
      search company, about new developments in the field that allow a
      combination of unstructured and structured tagging and classification.

      When Facets Meet Wikis and Tags

      "Put simply, if you're an information architect, we see facets in your
      future," writes Peter Morville and Louis Rosenfeld in the newest
      edition of O'Reilly's "Information Architecture for the World Wide
      Web" (aka The Polar Bear.) Faceted classification has moved beyond
      early adopters in the past few years, and is now graduating to more
      advanced projects. One such use is enterprise social collaboration,
      aka Enterprise 2.0. In particular, facets are being used to improve
      information access for employee-generated content like wikis and
      blogs. And this content is categorized into facets with folksonomies,
      or user- generated tags. But without centralized authority, how can
      facets ensure security, tame chaos, and coexist with curated content?
      In this session, we'll show results from Endeca's own internal
      deployment of such a system, which has served as a laboratory for
      innovations on facets in enterprise social collaboration.

      For more information, visit http://www.earley.com/2column.asp?linkId=213

      Thanks,
      Stephanie Lemieux
      TaxoCoP Community Manager