Re: [TaxoCoP] Thesaurus Design and Construction

  • Kathryn La Barre
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
      We are building the syllabus, but I'll send a link to it as soon as it is complete in a few weeks. The textbook: Broughton, V. (2006). Essential Thesaurus Construction.. Neal Shuman. Supplemented with outside readings. Students will work with MultiTes Pro as the software they will use for vocabulary construction.

      More soon!

      Kathryn

    • Layne Foit
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
        It looks that the iSchool at the University of Washington in Seattle is offering their class LIS 537 "Construction of Indexing Languages" during their Autumn Quarter. http://www.washington.edu/students/timeschd/AUT2007/lis.html

        I believe they offer this class as a distance option in the Spring.

        On 7/31/07, Kathleen.a.ellis@... <Kathleen.a.ellis@...
        > wrote:

        Does anyone know if there is a course in thesaurus design and construct being offered in the US in 2007?

      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
          Hello,

          I have trying to track down uses of tagging / social
          bookmarking / folksonomies used within organisations.

          I am aware of IBM's Dogear and the use of Cogenz by
          BUPA in the UK but are you aware of any others can can
          you point towards the supporting material (if any)?

          Regards,

          Matt Moore

          Got a little couch potato?
        • mednewsalerts
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
            Andrew McAfee of HBS started Cases 2.0, an excellent resource for Web
            2.0 technology inside enterprises, or Enterprise 2.0:

            http://www.socialtext.net/cases2/index.cgi?cases_2_0

            See also:
            http://www.google.com/search?q=honeywell+tagging

            -Mike Rogers

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <laalgadger@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I have trying to track down uses of tagging / social
            > bookmarking / folksonomies used within organisations.
            >
            > I am aware of IBM's Dogear and the use of Cogenz by
            > BUPA in the UK but are you aware of any others can can
            > you point towards the supporting material (if any)?
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Matt Moore

            > Got a little couch potato?

          • Stephanie Lemieux
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2007
              Hi all,

              I've been quiet for a while, but for those of you who don't know me, I
              manage the TaxoCoP monthly call series.

              The September 26 TaxoCoP call will be on Blending Folksonomies and
              Taxonomies... Thought this thread might be a good opportunity to
              invite anyone involved in using both approaches in their organization
              to speak. Presentations are 20 minutes each.

              Please contact me, stephanie@..., if you are interested or know
              someone who might be good for this topic.

              Thanks!
              Stephanie

              --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "mednewsalerts" <mednewsalerts@...> wrote:

              > Andrew McAfee of HBS started Cases 2.0, an excellent resource for Web
              > 2.0 technology inside enterprises, or Enterprise 2.0:
              >
              > http://www.socialtext.net/cases2/index.cgi?cases_2_0
              >
              > See also:
              > http://www.google.com/search?q=honeywell+tagging
              >
              > -Mike Rogers

            • Linda Kenny Sloan
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
                I haven't heard anything more about your class. Can you give us an update?

                Sincerely,
                Linda Kenny Sloan

                On Tue Jul 31 10:55 , "Kathryn La Barre" sent:

                >Leslie Owens and I will be teaching a distance education class in thesaurus
                construction and use at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science
                through the University of Illinois. Scheduled for Fall, it begins August 28th.

                >Kathryn La Barre
                >Assistant Professor
                >GSLIS/UIUC
                >

                >On 7/31/07, Kathleen.a.ellis@... <Kathleen.a.ellis@...
                >> wrote:
                >

                >Does anyone know if there is a course in thesaurus design and construct being
                offered in the US in 2007?

                >--
                >Kathryn La Barre
                >Assistant Professor
                >
                >GSLIS/ UIUC

              • Kathryn La Barre
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 16, 2007
                  Class doesn't begin until the week after next on August 28th, but I
                  will share the syllabus when it is completed.

                  Best,

                  Kathryn

                  --
                  Kathryn La Barre