Re: [TaxoCoP] Thesaurus Design and Construction

  • Linda Kenny Sloan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
      Can you give us a link to this?

      Sincerely,
      Linda Kenny Sloan
      Writing, Research &
      Indexing services for
      Science and Technology at
      http://informationuniverse.com
      Lksloan@...
      Phone 310-515-0618

      On Tue Jul 31 10:55 , 'Kathryn La Barre' <kathryn.labarre@...> sent:

      >Leslie Owens and I will be teaching a distance education class in thesaurus
      construction and use at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science
      through the University of Illinois. Scheduled for Fall, it begins August 28th.

      >Kathryn La Barre
      >Assistant Professor
      >GSLIS/UIUC
      >

      >On 7/31/07, Kathleen.a.ellis@... <Kathleen.a.ellis@...
      >> wrote:
      >

      >Does anyone know if there is a course in thesaurus design and construct being
      offered in the US in 2007?

      >--
      >Kathryn La Barre
      >Assistant Professor
      >
      >GSLIS/ UIUC

    • Kathryn La Barre
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
        We are building the syllabus, but I'll send a link to it as soon as it is complete in a few weeks. The textbook: Broughton, V. (2006). Essential Thesaurus Construction.. Neal Shuman. Supplemented with outside readings. Students will work with MultiTes Pro as the software they will use for vocabulary construction.

        More soon!

        Kathryn

      • Layne Foit
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
          It looks that the iSchool at the University of Washington in Seattle is offering their class LIS 537 "Construction of Indexing Languages" during their Autumn Quarter. http://www.washington.edu/students/timeschd/AUT2007/lis.html

          I believe they offer this class as a distance option in the Spring.

          On 7/31/07, Kathleen.a.ellis@... <Kathleen.a.ellis@...
          > wrote:

          Does anyone know if there is a course in thesaurus design and construct being offered in the US in 2007?

        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
            Hello,

            I have trying to track down uses of tagging / social
            bookmarking / folksonomies used within organisations.

            I am aware of IBM's Dogear and the use of Cogenz by
            BUPA in the UK but are you aware of any others can can
            you point towards the supporting material (if any)?

            Regards,

            Matt Moore

            Got a little couch potato?
          • mednewsalerts
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
              Andrew McAfee of HBS started Cases 2.0, an excellent resource for Web
              2.0 technology inside enterprises, or Enterprise 2.0:

              http://www.socialtext.net/cases2/index.cgi?cases_2_0

              See also:
              http://www.google.com/search?q=honeywell+tagging

              -Mike Rogers

              --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Matt Moore <laalgadger@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I have trying to track down uses of tagging / social
              > bookmarking / folksonomies used within organisations.
              >
              > I am aware of IBM's Dogear and the use of Cogenz by
              > BUPA in the UK but are you aware of any others can can
              > you point towards the supporting material (if any)?
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Matt Moore

              > Got a little couch potato?

            • Stephanie Lemieux
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 6:06 AM
                Hi all,

                I've been quiet for a while, but for those of you who don't know me, I
                manage the TaxoCoP monthly call series.

                The September 26 TaxoCoP call will be on Blending Folksonomies and
                Taxonomies... Thought this thread might be a good opportunity to
                invite anyone involved in using both approaches in their organization
                to speak. Presentations are 20 minutes each.

                Please contact me, stephanie@..., if you are interested or know
                someone who might be good for this topic.

                Thanks!
                Stephanie

                --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, "mednewsalerts" <mednewsalerts@...> wrote:

                > Andrew McAfee of HBS started Cases 2.0, an excellent resource for Web
                > 2.0 technology inside enterprises, or Enterprise 2.0:
                >
                > http://www.socialtext.net/cases2/index.cgi?cases_2_0
                >
                > See also:
                > http://www.google.com/search?q=honeywell+tagging
                >
                > -Mike Rogers

              • Linda Kenny Sloan
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 16 4:36 PM
                  I haven't heard anything more about your class. Can you give us an update?

                  Sincerely,
                  Linda Kenny Sloan

                  On Tue Jul 31 10:55 , "Kathryn La Barre" sent:

                  >Leslie Owens and I will be teaching a distance education class in thesaurus
                  construction and use at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science
                  through the University of Illinois. Scheduled for Fall, it begins August 28th.

                  >Kathryn La Barre
                  >Assistant Professor
                  >GSLIS/UIUC
                  >

                  >On 7/31/07, Kathleen.a.ellis@... <Kathleen.a.ellis@...
                  >> wrote:
                  >

                  >Does anyone know if there is a course in thesaurus design and construct being
                  offered in the US in 2007?

                  >--
                  >Kathryn La Barre
                  >Assistant Professor
                  >
                  >GSLIS/ UIUC

                • Kathryn La Barre
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 16 5:50 PM
                    Class doesn't begin until the week after next on August 28th, but I
                    will share the syllabus when it is completed.

                    Best,

                    Kathryn

                    --
                    Kathryn La Barre